Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 15, 2005, 6:46 AM   #1

My birthday was last week, so I have some birthday money to spend. I have the DRebel XT. I just bought a wireless remote. What else is a "must-have"? I know I need another lens....all I have is the kit lens and I would like something that reaches a bit further. Also, I need an external flash, preferrably swivel so that I can bounce the light off the ceiling. Any recommendations on a lens and flash? I need something that is good quality yet not too expensive. Anything else I should consider purchasing?
ChristusG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2005, 7:20 AM   #2

It all depends on your price range...what are you looking to spend?

I would also suggest, if you don't already have them:

-UV Lens filter for protection (under $15)
-camera bag like the lowepro EX160 or EX180 (under $20 on ebay)
-an additional battery (under $10 shipped on ebay)
-a cleaning kit
-larger CF card
-tripod
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:58 AM   #3

Well, I have about $300 to spend on accessories. I mean, if the lens that I can get for under $300 really sucks, then I want to wait to get a better one. Know what I mean? Same for the flash.

I already have a tripod, a few large CF cards, as well as a bag too.

And I do definitely want to get another battery too.

ChristusG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:59 AM   #4

An additional battery is almost never a bad idea. They hold their charge for a long time and are there to save you in a pinch. After market ones can be very cheap and usually work well. I've talked with some people who have had trouble (stops taking a charge after 6 months) and others (like me) who've had one for years and it works just fine.

It really depends on what you're going to photograph.

If you do mostly people and such, you might get a soft box for your flash (when you get one.) Both Canon and Sigma make good flashes. I review I saw a while back showed that (at least for them) the Sigma produced more consistant and proper exposures with the 20D than the 550EX (the flash I have.) Now, the XT has the same ETTL-2 (I think) as the 20D, so the Sigma should work well with it too.

A soft box "softens" the light from the flash, reducing shadows and works very well at short ranges to produce better pictures with flashes. They are also light and colaps into something small, which helps too.

Humm... a good camera bag is a good thing. I like that idea too.

Extention tubes can be handy if you do any macro work (and don't want to buy a macro lens.) They are a bit more expensive than I think they should be, but they do work. They shorten the closest focusing distance of the lens at a slight loss of light (around 1/3 of a stop or so.)

A good microfiber cloth for leaning lenses can be handy, especially if you shoot outdoors.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:21 AM   #5

If you're happy with the kit 18-55 lens, then I'd definitely pick up the Sigma 70-300, either the APO Macro II version or the APO DG version, bothare under $200 at www.sigma4less.com. Tamron also has a 70-300 LD Macro lens priced at about $200 which is nice, though I think the Sigma is a bit better.

If you want a full range lens, the Sigma 18-200 is pretty nice for just over $300, the 18-125 is even better and well under $300.

I'd recommend checking out some user reviews at
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviewsso you have some idea what you're getting.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:24 AM   #6
Super Moderator

simply put, you need an external flash.. i'd get a Sigma 500 DG Super..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:45 AM   #7

What's the difference between the Sigma 500 DG and 500 DG ST flash, besides $60.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:47 AM   #8

I second Hards80's post.
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:32 AM   #9

I second the purchase for the Sigma flash. I have the Sigma EF-500 DG Super. Bought it from ebay brand new for $185 shipped. Works great with my 20D.

ebay is running a few coupon codes...not sure if they expired or not, but there's a 10% off coupon code that you can use (max discount of $25...minimum purchase $250). And also $5, $10, and $20 off codes.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 1:23 PM   #10

just another vote for the Sigma EF-550 DG Super flash. And then save the rest of that b-day money for a nice lens.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote