Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:18 AM   #1

I just bought a Rebel XT and the small setting is larger than the largest setting of my last camera. I was just wondering what setting most everyone used? sm, med, lg, or RAW. I am staying with the better quality setting of each level. I dont do alot of printing but do want quality images when the occasion/picture is important. I have a 512mb, 1gb regular CF card and am thinking about getting one of the 1gb ultra II cards.

thanks.
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:31 PM   #2

I've been happy with my decision to only shoot in Raw. I prefer adjusting white balance, exposure, brightness and contrast prior to converting to jpeg or tiff. Also, since you should be sharpening your images in Photoshop anyways (along with minor exposure tweaks), I don't find that adding the extra steps for the Raw conversion to be that bothersome.

One other thing ... when I do Raw conversion I have sharpening turned OFF.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:10 PM   #3

I always use the Largest file size I can get. Mostly I shoot Raw. The DPP allows me to adjust for exposure, white balance, sharpness, etc. Its laways easier to throw away pixels than to add them!
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:16 PM   #4

I use either jpeg max size min compression or RAW. Depends on how important the shots are, but regardless I won't use less than the best jpeg. My perspective is why bother having 6MP when you shrink the size of the picture. I'd rather buy another 160GB hard drive for like $50 (http://dealmac.com/#storage20050718) than sacrifice my pictures.
memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 4:08 PM   #5

Good point Memento. I started expirementing with the RAW format and the software that came with the camera and I have to say, thats going to take some practice getting used to. It is pretty neat seeing all the info that gets recorded about the picture then being able to make adjustments but my main issure right now is reducing the size of the picture for internet posting and email. Thats where I'm used to using JPEG images/software.

BobA - Where do you turn off the sharpening setting, camera or software.

Ctrack, Memento - Large file /min compression it is then. Makes sense. I always use the min compression anyway but will go large for the added pixels.

Thanks all.
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 12:08 AM   #6

overkill wrote:
Quote:
BobA - Where do you turn off the sharpening setting, camera or software.

When shooting in Raw you turn sharpening off in the Raw converter software, before converting to jpeg.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 12:22 AM   #7

Whether you turn sharpening off or not largely depends on what you plan to do with the image after conversion. Some fanatics will screem to never sharpen in the RAW conversion process & only do it in Photoshop at the very end. Myself, I process all my images, from wedding proofs to my own personal RAW files in Capture One LE by Phase One and almost always output high resolution JPEGS with sharpening added while in Capture One. It does a fantastic job. There is no one "right" opinion on this or really much anything else related to digital photography. If you decide later you want to do something fancy in Photoshop with the image, you can simply go back to your RAW file and do another conversion if you don't want to use the JPEG file.

That's the great thing about RAW images. You are not stuck with one final output based on decisions you have to make before the exposure unless you have a case of bad composition or terrible exposure technique and burned out highlights.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 12:45 AM   #8

Couldn't agree more. There are lots of methodologies for sharpening ... but at least with Raw all of the choices are available to you.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 2:57 AM   #9

I, like most people, shoot at the largest setting possible. You can always size the picture down but you can't bring it up.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:17 AM   #10

Headhunter is right on - why spend money on good gear then not use it? can't understand that logic at all.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote