Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 15, 2005, 5:48 PM   #1

I got this code while using my RebelXT and Quantaray tech-10 CN AF (70-300mm LDO macro) lens from my film camera. The error code says 'error may occur if if using a non-canon lens'. I was able to take a few pictures with this lens on and some came up with the error and didnt take. Everything seamed to work such as auto focus. Beyond that (AF), what more does the camera need to do with the lens to snap the picture? Did I just not have the lens seated properly ( I dont see that being possible), or is this lensetotally incompatible with the XT?

Thanks for your expertise, or alteast more of it than what I have.
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:06 PM   #2

First of all, you probably did not do anything wrong. Canon DSLRs seem overly sensitive to 3rd party lenses. On my DRebel I started experiencing err99s which progressively worsened in frequency. The problem seemed to occur more frequently with my Tamron 28-75 Di. Eventually sent camerato Canon for service. Camera required a new shutter assembly. Cost apprx $200. This is the minimum charge at Canon. Try other lenses to see if the error re-occurs. You can try the standard treatments, remove and replace the battery, clean contacts, etc. I am not sure that these are really helpful. My DRebel works fine with all lenses now but the shutter sounds different. I can't help but think the problem will reoccur.

I now have a 20D but continue to use the DRebel. My first experience with a Tokina 12-24 Pro DX lens on the 20D was instant lockup. Had to remove battery. Camera seems to be working fine now.

Suggest you monitor the situation and send the camera to Canon before the warranty expires if the err99 becomes more frequent.

I'm sure other Canon owners have had no problems with 3rd party lenses. The problem I think is Canon except for some older EOS compatible Sigma Lenseswhich require re-chipping.

Do not wait too long to use the warranty if the err99 continues.. Canon is expensive!!!

Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 8:36 AM   #3

I was hoping it wasnt the camera but I will look into that. Just my luck.

Do some lenses work better than others with the Canon XT. Sigma, Tamaron, newer Quantaray? My Q-ray is about 5-6 yrs old. Or is Canon lenses the most fool proof way to go with a Canon camera?

Thanks for the input.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:17 AM   #4

Ah! You said the Q lens is 5-6 years old. That may be the problem. I forget who makes the Q'ray lenses but if its Sigma it may need to be rechipped. I don't know how long past purchase date Sigma will rechip a lens but you may want to check with Wolf/Ritz to see if they know.

Still, keep an eye on it so that you are certain its the lens not the camera.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 3:57 PM   #5

Thanks for the help Ctrack. I'm accually thinking about updating my lens selection now that I'm "trying" to get more serious with my photography knowledge. All my lenses are atleast 5-6 yrs old if not older. I have an EOS-300 film camera that they all work on. I'm currently have alot of overlap and am wanting to consolidate to a good 2 lens combo, maybe one more for special situations. I've been reading all the other posts about recomendations but everything I have either doesnt go up high enough or down low enough to make one good lens.
Canon 18-55mm EF-S
Canon 38-76mm
and a Sigma 28-80mm which the autofocus gear has gone out on. Just grinds.
Then the Q-ray 70-300mm.

Anyway getting a little off topic. I'm just wondering if I should stick with Canon lenses eventhough they cost a little more. Or are Sigma and Tamron fine and my Q-ray is just outdated.

oh, one more question. I know what 'IS' is.... image stabilization. But whats the difference between EF and EF-S?

Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:05 PM   #6

Canon EF-S lenses only work on Canon Digitals DREBEL, DREBEL XT, and 20D.

I am a long time Canon user and all my late 1980's lenses work. My EF 70-210 F4, and my EF 50 1.4 and my EF 28-70 II 3.5-4.5 all work great. I did a swimsuit model shoot with my DREBEL and the 1989 EF 28-70 II and I was verypleased with the pics. Even so I wanted the faster quieter USM lenses. So I started buying lenses I wanted to have.

I have some overlap but I am enjoying the new hardware: apart from the kit lens with the DREB I first purchase wasEF 28-135 ISthen EF 17-40L F4, followed by the EFS 60 F2.8, and the 70-200L F4. I did buy two non Canons, Tamron 28-75 Di F2.8, and the Tokina 12-24 F4Pro. The Tamron is a niche player for me because of the 2.8 andgives me a little more speed indoors. The lens I keep on my 20D is the 17-40L which seems to fit 90% all my needs. If that was the only lens I could have I would be happy since most of my shooting is indoors. Next would be the EF 28-135. You'll read complaints about the 28-135 IS not being sharp but I find it to be better very sharp and any problems are usually my fault. Buy what you can afford and be happy. The lenses will be sharper than you may read about or expect. Its hard to find a bad lens. Besides Canon Digitals (sensors) are known for a little softness (read Steve'sreviews)in the images and most people attribute the soft images to the lenses. You can always add a little sharpening in Photoshop Elements.

I am considering adding the new Sigma 150 Macro designed for Digital because I have learned that small "critter's don't like being approached and a little separation is good.