Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:07 PM   #1

Hello All

I'm pretty close to buying my first DSLR and have pretty much chosen the Canon 20D. I like all types of photography but have lately been specializing in surfing photography and love the idea of being able to take 5 fps worth of high-res photos.

I was considering going on eBay and picking up a used 10D to save money since I'm on a tight budget. While looking through the dozens and dozens of 10D's up for grabs on eBay I noticed more than once a seller saying how the 10D was actually better than the 20D in a couple of areas. Forgive me for not remembering exactly which features they mentioned, sorry. But I'm sure I read that - people preferring the 10D. I even remember one guy saying he sold his 20D and bought back his old camera. What's up with this?

I naturally assumed that the new version was improved in every way....maybe not perfect, but certainly not worse in any way. So what's the story? Anyone have any experience or know what these people on eBay were talking about? I'd like to know before plunking down my 1500 bucks.

Concerned,

Rob K
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:20 PM   #2

This is the first time in the 6 months I have been reading DSLR forums that I have heard anyone say they haveseen posts statingthe 10D had any features that could be better than a 20D. The 10D is a very nice camera, and should be considered if your budget is tight. However, if you are making your decision based on the capabilities of the two cameras, the 20D is the way to go.

By the way, the 300D is also a very nice camera that takes great images. If my budget was very tight I would probably choose a used 300D body and use the money I saved for a better lens.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 2:21 AM   #3

i've used both the 10d and now own a 20d. the only thing that i can think of off the top of my head was that the 10d had a quieter shutter sound. other than that, the 20d tops the 10d anyday.

another camera that's feature packed that you should consider is the rebel xt 350d. if 1500 is all you can spend, you can get the xt and a great lens.
mugen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 9:25 AM   #4

20D has the edge in almost all areas except maybe AI focus tracking.

Word of warning about surf shooting, sand, water and especially salt water spray are not good environments for a camera. Bag the camera when shooting if you can, and give it a good cleaning afterwards. Also try not to change lenses while on a sandy beach, or use a changing bag if you must. Those annoying little wind blown particles have a way of getting into everything.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 9:41 AM   #5

Rob K wrote:
Quote:
While looking through the dozens and dozens of 10D's up for grabs on eBay I noticed more than once a seller saying how the 10D was actually better than the 20D in a couple of areas. Forgive me for not remembering exactly which features they mentioned, sorry. But I'm sure I read that - people preferring the 10D. I even remember one guy saying he sold his 20D and bought back his old camera. What's up with this?
I think that you have to look at the fact that these people are trying to sell the 10D, of course they are going to say its better, they are after alltrying to make quite a bit ofmoney from the sale.

Anyway, if its that good a camera, why are they selling it?

Alan :-)
AlanV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:46 PM   #6
Super Moderator

i think alan has it right... the seller may be a bit biased..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 2:49 PM   #7

Rob,

I own both cameras and with the exception ofa very loudshutter sound, the 20D equals or exceeds the 10D inmost areas. Perhaps the biggest difference for me besides the overall quicker response, is that the20D saves a true jpeg and raw image simultaneously. This very helpful if you are shooting professionaly and have a lot of images to process. I remember using the 10D after 4 months of using just the 20D. It was like night and day. The sum of the incremental improvements across the board for the 20D verses the 10D was far greater than it's parts. The only thing that wasn't that big of a deal was theimage quality of good photostaken with each camera. My personal shooting experience,the 20D provides at least a 20 - 30 percent greater ratio of "keepers" when compared with the 10D.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 9:25 PM   #8

Based on your responses I'll consider the remarks I read on eBay to be an aberration.....thanks for helping to quash any uncertainty I was having about this.

As to the 350XT, I did consider it for the money savings but would rather spend the extra to get the faster burst mode of the 20D, for surf photography this is one of the most important features to have.

Rob
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote