Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:11 PM   #1

Canon has two remotes that will work with my 350D and the wired shutterrelease, as well.

Unless there is some reason I don't understand, I'm going to go with the remote over the wired one for convenience and safety (no possibilty of pulling the camera over with the cord).

So, is there any difference besides cosmetics between the RC-1 and RC-5 remotes? They both work from 16 ft and allow for instant or 2 sec delay.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:07 AM   #2

Hrm, if you take a look at that accessories paper that came with the XT you'll notice that the description for the RC-1 says, "settable to a 0 sec or 2 sec delay".

Notice on the RC-5 description: "A 2 sec delay is also possible"

They never specifically stated you can take an instant shot. that, "also possible" is incredibly misleading and if you do a quick search, buyers have said the one disadvantage for the RC-5 is no instant shot capability

http://www.markcarey.com/astore/p/B00004WCCQ

And as far as the wire switch goes, the only advantage I think it has over the remote (RC-1, that is) is that it doesn't need a battery.

Another factor that I've yet to determine is weather the remote "shutter" can be pressed half way to autofocus ahead of time. I would doubt this because the general purpose of the remote is for you to be AWAY from the camera, so you wouldn't even be able to see where it'd focus. I believe the wire switch has a half way shutter press capability.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 11:46 AM   #3

I have the RS-60E3 remote switch and the RC-1. I purchased the RC-1 over the RC-5 because it is smaller and has the instant shutter release...the RC-5 doesn't. The RC-1 does not have a half way shutter button though, but the RS-60E3 does and it also lets you lock the button down for bulb. The only time I use the RC-1 is if I have to be away from the camera and need to be in the picture. For everything else, I use the RS-60E3 with a 25 foot extension cable. They both have uses that are needed for me and have allowed me to take more and better shots.
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:08 PM   #4

I just bought an RC-1 off Ebay for $24 shipped. I definitely wanted the instant release and at this point, I don't see how having a half-button press would be of much use for me at this pointwhen you aren't there to see how the focus turned out. If I find a need for that later, I can always pick up the 60E3 then. Thanks guys.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 7:15 AM   #5

It depends on your use. I use the half-button because my remote is for night shots so that I'm not touching the camera pressing the button to take extended shutter shots.
memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 7:46 AM   #6

Big problem for me was that the wireless remotes require you to be in front of the camera.
enduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:57 AM   #7

I mentioned this in another post a while ago as well. (search button above :-) )

I got the rc-1 thrown in free with one of the EOS body I bought, and ended up junking it.
It is an ultrasonic remote, only works from in front of the camera and in real life works out to maybe 10 feet if you are luckey. Don't know about the Rebel but the body I got it with you had to activate the remote function and if it was not used within a minute or two it canceled itself and you had to go back to the camera to reactivate it.
IMHO: it was not worth the money I did not pay for it :blah: as Ihad to go to the extra effort to get rid of it.

Most EOS bodies use the RS-80N3 wired remote or TC-80N3 (intelligent timer remote) with a five foot cord, for some reason the Rebel uses a different RS-60E3 with a two foot cord, not sure what other differences there are.

You can get a 10m/32.8foot extension cord for the 80N3's.

If you want a reliable wireless control get one of the radio remotes like the pcoket wizards.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote