Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 18, 2005, 6:02 PM   #1

OK here is a situation for you all to read and mebbe help me with:

I was at Summit Point for Hyper-fest
(hyper-fest.com) this past weekend (7/16). I was in the process of changing
lenses and noticed that under the mirror (?) is what I believe is the shutter
(they look like super small venecian [sp] blinds on the lens behind the mirror)
and one of these blind things was severely not in place and ripped.

I was somewhat able to shake the
camera lightly and the blind thing was able to fit itself back into
place....forward to Sunday, July 7/18 and was at another car show (www.waterfest.net).
As again was chanign lenses, this loose blind thing litterally fell out of the
camera luckily I was able to save it in my camera bag. Now my pictures have,
going from left to right about 1/4'th down the picture when viewing the pictures
on the computer and in increasing brightness, about a 1 1/2 inch wide a section
that looks like it was too overexposed. All my pictures from waterfest have
this annyong strip on them. Argh!!!! :-(

Previous to this happening this
camera was cleaned by the people at Ritz Camera's repair shop for dust on the ccd.
I wonder if as a result of their cleaning, this piece of the shsutter fell
out. BTW, I have a 2 year esp and am going to say that I'd like this taken
care of ASAP, as I'm 'going to the west coast in 2 weeks and would like to have
this camera for the car show's that I am going to cover'.

BTW, this is for a black digital
rebel, and if I am offered a replacement camera (which I hope is the end
result) it HAS to be black.

Anyone else with this situation
before? If so, and in the esp time period what was your end result with
Canon? Please advise.

TIA and TY for reading!
tdredi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:27 PM   #2

Canon shutter replacement is approximately $200 when done by Canon Service. Had mine replaced. Don't know if that is your problem but that's what Canon charged me. Suggest you get it back to dealer if its still under warranty.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:24 AM   #3

If the shutter assembly is damaged (and it sounds like it is) it needs replacement. Preferably done by Canon.

What I don't understand is why you would see the shutter when changing lenses. The only time the mirror should be up is when taking an image or the camera is in the cleaning cycle. At all other times the mirror should be down, and not expose the shutter assembly.

It is possible it was damaged by Ritz when they cleaned it, but try to claim anything against them wont be easy.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 5:40 PM   #4

I have recently experienced something similar - about a month ago I was taking pictures with my 300D Rebel, experimenting with long shutter speeds. The next day, I took some pictures at a parade (July 4th) and squeezed off about 30 shots before my camera suddenly went black.* I tried a reboot, thinking it was a computer chip crash. Nothing but black in the viewfinder, and error on the computer screen. Again, turned it off and back on. Again, nothing. I took the lens off to look at the shutter, and the mirrors were cocked weirdly and there was a HUGE TEAR in the shutter screen.I sent the camera back to Canon, and received a letter today stating I was responsible for fixing it, because it was not a known defect. I have not found many instances of this, but I have found several, so it must be a rare but definite defect on this camera. What was your experience, did Canon make you pay for the repairs? They are saying it will take $300 to fix the camera, on a piece of equipment I paid $700 for less than 6 months ago.I am at a loss on how to deal with this, but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this problem before.Thanks!
jamieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 11:39 PM   #5

That's a bad deal. Sounds like the camera just failed. However, as you found out, you won't convince Canon of a problem with the camera. Mine just started having more and more frequent err99s until I could no longer depend on it and sent it in for repair. The unfortunate thing about repairs is that they aren't warranted for very long after and only for the part repaired. Its a dilemma whether to spend $300 or plunk that down on a new camera with a one year warranty. I spent the money but the Drebel is now my backup tomy 20D. Funny, my EOS 620 is 20 years old and works like it did when I bought it!!
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 11:44 PM   #6

Ok, so i got a call today from the ritz camera people and everything (new shutter and ccd cleaning) will be done freeof charge as part of the esp plan that I purchased.

Oh, and I'll be sure to have the ccd cleaned as often as needed, as this is included with the esp too.

Well, i HOPE to have the camera back by this friday, as there is a show, tunerwarz in york, pa that I HOPE to go and snap some snaps. LOL...yes, snap some snaps.

Thanks for reading/bumps on my thread!

Old Aug 27, 2006, 3:14 AM   #7

k well it happened again.

day 1 of the nopi show in md, and after about 240 shots, my shutter froze and black viewfinder.

i dropped the camera off to ritz camera and it 'will take 1 or 2 months to fix' per the clerk at the counter.

i just sent a 'pleasant' email to the customer service depart of ritz camera asking that they take a good 2nd look at this, as this is the 2n time it's happend to me.

i hope they treat me well with this repair, as i have been 'somewhat' happy with service/repairs i've had done to my dslr!

tia for reading.

for others, what happend to you and your camera repair(s)?
Old Aug 27, 2006, 3:14 AM   #8

k well it happened again.

day 1 of the nopi show in md, and after about 240 shots, my shutter froze and black viewfinder.

i dropped the camera off to ritz camera and it 'will take 1 or 2 months to fix' per the clerk at the counter.

i just sent a 'pleasant' email to the customer service depart of ritz camera asking that they take a good 2nd look at this, as this is the 2n time it's happend to me.

i hope they treat me well with this repair, as i have been 'somewhat' happy with service/repairs i've had done to my dslr!

tia for reading.

for others, what happend to you and your camera repair(s)?