Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:12 PM   #1

i'm getting these weird black spots on some of my pictures, so i tried taking test shots and i noticed that it only does it at a higher aperture around f/13 and up. there is a big one ont he upper right and some spots on the upper left

i used an air bulb toblow dust off thesensor and i am still getting these black spots, i've also have taken a closer look at my sensor and didn't notice any dust on it or it could be really small? i don't know. could it be my lens? hmm..anyone have any ideas or experience this?

thanks

N

nelpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:52 PM   #2

Sounds like it might be on the lens. Do you have another to test with or can you visit your local photography shop and try out some lenses there?
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:53 PM   #3

It appears to be dust. If you change lenses and still see it in your photos, you probably have dust on the sensor. Shooting the sky is the best way to see the spots.

I just had that problem with my 20D and had to send it off to be cleaned. There are kits available for you to do it yourself but I didn't feel that brave. I used http://www.vphotoatlanta.com and they were very fast - I would highly recommend them. I mailed it on a Wednesday and got it back the following Thursday. $78 with shipping included.

The best way to avoid getting dust in the sensor is to change lenses in a controlled environment as much as possible. Indoors is preferable and if possible keep the camera body facing down.

Gary
garyalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:00 PM   #4

I will try taking pictures w/ different lenses

thanks

N
Old Jul 19, 2005, 12:05 AM   #5

You definitely have dust on your sensor, if the bulb blower isn't taking it off then you either have to use something like the Copperhill method or send it into Canon to be cleaned.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 9:32 AM   #6

greeaaaaattt, new camera and I already have dust. does anyone know how much a camera store would charge to clean it? I really don't want to send it to canon because i'll need my camera this weekend.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:14 AM   #7

Nelpad- When you moved up to DSLR, there were a few things that came along with it, that you obviously didn't know about.

Dust on sensor is a 'fact of life' with DSLRS. Changing lenses is the primary opportunity for dust to get into your camera.
Now you can go a couple of ways-
1) Pack up your camera and send it somewhere to be cleaned. It costs (after the first time) and your camera is gone for a while. It may come back just as dirty (bouncing around in shipping) or worse.

2)Buy a good blower (Giotto Rocket), some PecPads and Eclipse fluid. Follower your manual for mirror lockup and go to work. Three to Five minutes later, your back in business.

want details ? Just ask.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:40 AM   #8

I wouldn't use a blower. You're trying to remove dust, not just blow it around inside your camera. Also, it might do damage.

Try this to clean your sensor.

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

I've had my Canon 10D for a year and a half or so, and cleaned the sensor once, using the above copperhill method. Yes, it has some dust on the sensor but if it actually shows up in a picture Photoshop usually can take care of it pretty easily.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote