Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:06 AM   #11

That shot of the bee is an actual crop of the image below it. I never resized that cropped image (so that can tell you how much of the picture I was actually using which is not a lot and explains the softness)

that's why I said it's not really macro =P

the setting was at macro mode when I took it, and it was at 55mm. So as you can see, there's obviously no "true macro".

But believe me when I say post processing can really make a difference in some images. Not all!!! but in this case...

This took literally like 2 seconds with auto corrections with photoshop album starter (not really recommended, but the starter version is free)
Attached Images

BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:02 PM   #12

The 18-55 lens is plenty if you can't afford another lens right now. I still have my Digital Rebel/18-55. I mainly use a 10D todaywith the Digital Rebel as a backup, but this past April I went for 7 days to St. Thomas, USVI. The 10D stayed home. The lightweightDigital Rebel and 18-55 was a no-brainerchoice for travel anddid very well. I posted some images below(all post processed!).

Oh, regarding the 300mm question, you might eventuallylook into the 100-300 USM, which costs around $300USD. All of Canon's consumer lenses perform about the same, but the 100-300 uses the really good ring USM motor, which runs circles AF speed-wisearound the micro USM motorin the 75-300 Image Stabilization lens.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 8:40 AM   #13

Now I have a doubt about this sigma macro super lens. Why is it called macro?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question... Is there any lens that I can take good macro shots + good tele? Is this lens good for macro shots?

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
the cheapest option would be the sigma 70-300 APOMacro Super II. this lens is pretty good considering its 200USD price tag. just make sure you are getting the APO version. it will be sharper than anything comparable to its price from Canon.

if you are willing to spend a little more the sigma 135-400 will give you a much needed extra 100mm of reach. really this is about minimum if you plan on doing real bird photography. and this lens is really quite nice considering its relatively low price of 439USD. this should be your choice if you are serious about bird shots.
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 1:28 AM   #14

Thanks for reconfirming. That's a nice crop and the corrected image looks cool.

BoYFrMSpC
wrote:
Quote:
That shot of the bee is an actual crop of the image below it. I never resized that cropped image (so that can tell you how much of the picture I was actually using which is not a lot and explains the softness)

that's why I said it's not really macro =P

the setting was at macro mode when I took it, and it was at 55mm. So as you can see, there's obviously no "true macro".

But believe me when I say post processing can really make a difference in some images. Not all!!! but in this case...

This took literally like 2 seconds with auto corrections with photoshop album starter (not really recommended, but the starter version is free)
Old Jul 28, 2005, 1:56 AM   #15

Thanks for confirming that I can be satisfied with 18-55 lens kit. Appreciate your sample pictures. They are great !!!

Hope I can use it for taking pictures in wedding, parties, low light situations etc. Hope the inbuilt flash is powerful.

Will I be able to take good handheld shots in indoor light (without flash)?

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
The 18-55 lens is plenty if you can't afford another lens right now. I still have my Digital Rebel/18-55. I mainly use a 10D todaywith the Digital Rebel as a backup, but this past April I went for 7 days to St. Thomas, USVI. The 10D stayed home. The lightweightDigital Rebel and 18-55 was a no-brainerchoice for travel anddid very well. I posted some images below(all post processed!).
Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:01 AM   #16

The big question is what do you have to pay for the lens? I bought my first digicam, a 300D, with the kit lens for $ 50 more than the body. I won'tsay its the best lens in the world but it'sactually pretty goodat f8 or 11. I learned a lot about the camera, the lens, and digital photography in general with it. I later got a 28-135 IS as a walk around lens. I give the camera w/kit lensto my wife and daughter and whoeverelse wants to try a few digital shots. I don'tget sweaty palms about damage to my expensive glass. It's alsogreatto take camping or other wet or dusty placeswhen you can't afford weather-sealed L lenses.
ADSchiller is offline   Reply With Quote