Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 22, 2005, 1:50 PM   #1

HELP!!!

I just purchased a Canon 20D and a Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO lense to go with it. I have no other lenses. When I take the camera out of it's case and turn it on, it powers up but will NOT autofocus nor will the shutter operate. I can turn it off and on and the same thing occurs. The only way I can get it to operate properly is to remove and replace the lense.

Thinking that it was a lense issue, I exchanged the lense for a 2nd one of the same. I still have the same problem. I do not have any other lenses to try, nor to I have another Canon camera to try the lense on. I did take it to local camera and they tried a Canon lense on and it worked, but that really proves nothing since if I mount the Sigma lense on the camera, it works. It only fails after being powered off and set aside for a while. I also tried (after removing and replacing the lense to get it working) letting the camera power itself off. When I powered it back on by touching the shutter release, the camera was still functioning.

My 20D firmware is 2.0.2. I don't know what vintage the lense is, except that it's new.

I don't know what else to try. My RMA number with B&H Photo Video expires in about a week and I need to make a decision on what to return to them. If I don't figure it out, I guess I'll send it all back for a refund.

kevin
kcrouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2005, 2:26 PM   #2

ps. another symptom is that when the camera is in the non-functioning mode (powered on but not autofocusing nor shuttering), the F-stop readout reads 00 (two zeros).
Old Jul 22, 2005, 4:00 PM   #3

pps. another clue: removing and replacing the battery will correct the issue. Any ideas?
Old Jul 22, 2005, 4:46 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i'd be giving a call to canon.. sounds like something wrong with the camera..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 6:53 PM   #5

I have the same camera/lens combo. And I had the same problem. I sent the lens back to Sigma and asked that they fix, not replace the lens. Total time from mailing it Priority mail until I got it back was 1 week. It works fine now. It's a known problem with that combo, I don't know why Sigma hasn't corrected it in the manufacturing stage rather than mess with the returns.
Since the return, it has been a great lens.

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 1:37 AM   #6
Super Moderator

This of course is one reason why I have a prejudice against 3rd party lenses; not on the basis of optics - but precisely because I wouldn't be clear whose fault it is.

Canon or Sigma? And what if each blames the other?

If I have a problem with a Canon lens on a Canon camera I know where to go to get it fixed. Also I think one is rather less likely to have those problems.

Of course as your lens collection builds up it becomes much easier - now that I have 4 Canon lenses I am more inclined to purchase a 3rd party lens. If it doesn't work I can check the camera against my Canon lenses.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote