Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:06 AM   #11

BobA wrote:
Quote:
Hi ruchai,

I can't quite understand why you narrowed down your choice betweenthe FZ30and the XT. The XT is a much more capable camera, and is a part of an SLR system with interchangeable lenses. For example, the Lumix is only capable of ISO 400, which at times can be extremely limiting., while the XTgoes to ISO 1600 (ISO 3200 for the 20D). The XT has a huge variety of lenses to choose from to suit different situations from macro to super telephoto giving outstanding results across the board ... while the Lumix is limited totwo conversion lensesthat are available to adjust focal length.

It sounds like you are looking for ahigh quality point and shoot style camera, especially if you were intending to only one lens to do everything. If this is the case maybeyou should be making your choice between the Lumix F30and a Canon Pro-1 or a Nikon Coolpix 8800.

I know nothing about the Pro-1 or Coolpix 8800, so can't say whethereither is better or worse than the F30 ... but I'm sure there are some reviews out there that can help you with your choice. I'm sure they are all really nice cameras though ...

Just my $0.02.

Regards,

Bob
I used to do lots of birds photography when I was younger. I used togo out with2 Nikon FE film camera bodiesand a Nikor F:4 400 mm.ED lens, my only lens! Andit was a very good setup.

I gaveup bird photography for 20 years now, also given all the equipments to one of my sons. Just coming back to bird photography again recently. I got the Pana FZ20 and am quite happy with it. The only problem with the Pana is low light capability of the tiny sensor.

I do not want to waste my little left time on earth examining all kinds of camera available in the market. I know the Canon 400L f:5.6 is the top birding lens. Ialso know the Pana FZ20 is alovable cameraif it has a bigger sensor.

I wasresearchingabout RebelXT and 20D with Canon 400L f:5.6 when I heard about the FZ30.

It is more like an elderman who need a carfor shopping at thesuper markethaving to deside between a small very reliable little Honda and a Mercedes. Any how, the 3200 ISO of the 20D you pointed out is some thing I did not think of before. May be the 20D/400L f:5.6 is what I should get. Thank you very much for the tip.

Regards,

Ruchai:idea:

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:38 AM   #12

Thanks for your well compiled datas about the two cameras.

I have no need for any lens rather than the superp Leica 35-420 mm. of the FZ30. The bigger sensor area of the RebelXT (even more so with the 20D) is what mightsway my decision toward the Canon.

The bigger lens of the FZ30 compare to the smaller f:5.6 of the Canon 400L and the maximum ISO 1600 vs 400 sum up to just one stop in favour to the Canon. With the so much heavier in weight and cost of the Canon plus the Canon lack of image stabilizer, it is very difficult to decide indeed.

The time is come when the dSLR and the megazoom digital will have to fight for a customer like myself. It will be a hard time for Canon and Nikon who marketting both types of camera. Panasonic is going fast with the FZ series. For me I am just looking for the most suitable camera for my kind of hobby. Shall have to decide before September 20.:?

Regards,

Ruchai

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Here is the baseic spec:? comparison of the two cameras,
I think the biggest one that actually has a bearing on the cameras imaging capabilities is the first one, the sensor size, the Rebel-XT sensor is 9 times the size of the FZ30, and they are both trying to pack the same number of photosites into their respective sensors areas.

Fz30 has a 1/1.8 sized sensor, that is packing 8mp into a 7.2mm * 5.3mm sensor area.
Rebel-XT has a aps-c sized sensor, that is packing 8mp into a 22.2mm x 14.8mm sensor area.

FZ30's Lens Real size: 7.4 - 88.8 and in 35 mm Equiv.: 35 - 420 mm : F2.8/F3.7 - F11
Rebel-XT Lens: Any canon EF lens

FZ30's shutter: 8 - 1/2,000
Rebel-XT Shutter: 30 - 1/4000 sec & Bulb

FZ30's ISO: 80 / 100 / 200 / 400
Rebel-XT ISO: 100 / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600

FZ30's Battery life: 280 pictures (CIPA Standard***) / 300 pictures (with EVF****)
Rebel-XT battery life: 600 shots w/o flash; 400 shots w/50% flash

And of course the Rebel is bigger and more trouble to carry around.:roll:

Peter.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:45 AM   #13

Can't be positive but this line in the specs seems to imply it is a normal CCD .
  • Image Sensor 1/1.8", 8.32 Mega Total Pixels CCD, Primary Color Filter[/*]
Peter

BobA wrote:
Quote:
Peter,

I couldn't find any info stating one way or the other, but does the FZ30 use a Foveon sensor? If it does, then it wouldn't have close to the resolution of a typical 8.3 MP camera (maybe closer to 4-5 MP).

Bob
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:53 AM   #14

Yes, cameras like the Panasonics are capable of very good images, and the stabilazation is a big plus. While you can get stabalized lenses for the Rebel the cost is high, and you have to buy it again each time you get a new lens.

Peter.

Quote:
The time is come when the dSLR and the megazoom digital will have to fight for a customer like myself. It will be a hard time for Canon and Nikon who marketting both types of camera. Panasonic is going fast with the FZ series. For me I am just looking for the most suitable camera for my kind of hobby. Shall have to decide before September 20.:?
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 1:32 AM   #15

I took this picture with the Panasonic FZ20. I may be able to make a sharper picture with a RebelXT with 400L f:5.6 but I do not think I need to.
Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2005, 3:00 AM   #16

You have a good eye and it's a nice pic (it looksoversharpened though).

The Nikon Coolpix 8800 and the Canon Pro1 are the two cameras that would compete with the FZ30 though ... not the XT which serves a different market.

Canon Pro1 (8 MP) $620
Nikon Coolpix 8800 (8 MP) $1000
Lumix FZ20 (5 MP) $600
Lumix FZ30 (8.3 MP) $??? (probably less than or similarly priced to the Nikon)

If you aren't picky about the quality you will get by using a 10x zoom then (if I were you) I would go with one of the three point and shoots. You seem comfortable with the FZ20, so why wouldn't you go with the 30?

The FZ30 doesn't come close to having the same features as the XT though ... with the XT being in a totally different league.One thing that may sway you towards the Lumix is that Canon DSLR's require sharpening in post processing due to using a strong AA filter. if you don't like messing around with Photoshop, don't get a DSLR.

In the end, the only thing that matters is that youenjoy using your camera. You are getting results that you are happy with with your FZ20, and you know the FZ30 is going to be an imrpovement, so it doesn't sound like there is much chance you will be disatisfied.

Have fun!

Bob

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 4:29 AM   #17

BobA wrote:
Quote:
You have a good eye and it's a nice pic (it looksoversharpened though).

The Nikon Coolpix 8800 and the Canon Pro1 are the two cameras that would compete with the FZ30 though ... not the XT which serves a different market.

Canon Pro1 (8 MP) $620
Nikon Coolpix 8800 (8 MP) $1000
Lumix FZ20 (5 MP) $600
Lumix FZ30 (8.3 MP) $??? (probably less than or similarly priced to the Nikon)

If you aren't picky about the quality you will get by using a 10x zoom then (if I were you) I would go with one of the three point and shoots. You seem comfortable with the FZ20, so why wouldn't you go with the 30?

The FZ30 doesn't come close to having the same features as the XT though ... with the XT being in a totally different league.One thing that may sway you towards the Lumix is that Canon DSLR's require sharpening in post processing due to using a strong AA filter. if you don't like messing around with Photoshop, don't get a DSLR.

In the end, the only thing that matters is that youenjoy using your camera. You are getting results that you are happy with with your FZ20, and you know the FZ30 is going to be an imrpovement, so it doesn't sound like there is much chance you will be disatisfied.

Have fun!

Bob

As I mentioned before, my only problem with the FZ20 isit's poor low light performance. I realy enjoy using hand held at 400mm. particularly in the jungle or our tropical garden. I shall have to get a new camera with better sensor. I looking at the Canon RebelXT/20D because of their superb low light capabilities and the 400L f:5.6 lens. Money is not realy my problem although I do not want to pay more for nothing.

It will take a while untill more people get their FZ30s and start posting about them. I do not want to change cameras too often. At my age it take a long time to familiarize my self with a new camera.

I do not expect a camera from the box to serve my special need. The RebelXT/400L f:5.6 is close. The only thing I did not like is therir lack of lens stabilizer. The FZ30 specifications and my experiences with the FZ20 make methink the FZ30 may suit me better.

Another picture taken with my FZ20. By having the FZ20 and a binocular hangin on my neck at all time, I think I have a better chanceof getting more pictures like this one.

Thanks for your efforts to help me. I think I shall have to wait and see.

Ruchai
Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2005, 3:11 PM   #18

As far as low-light goes, it may be close. I own a 10D and a FZ20 and like them both. The XT should have less noise at all ISO settings and can go higher (probably only useful up to 800). But with only a f5.6 aperture, you can't use quite as fast of a shutter speed. If you can get a shutter speed around 1/250 or faster, camera shake becomes less of an issue. The real advantage of a dSLR to me is following moving subjects since it is an optical viewfinder. But it is hard to beat the versatility of the FZ20 (and soon FZ30). I keep mine for a "walkaround" camera.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 8:42 PM   #19

Thanks. What you said is exactly what I wanted to know. With the 2.8 lens, mega optical image stabilizer, and light weight, the FZ20 is my camera of choice. If as you mentionedthen maybe the FZ30 is what I should look at.

As for following moving subjects with FZ20, I solved the problem by using the RedDot sight designed for rifles. It works very well indeed. Just follow the bird with the red dot while pushing the shutter in burst mode. Here is the picture of my FZ20 with rifle RedDot sight.

srvsd wrote:
Quote:
As far as low-light goes, it may be close. I own a 10D and a FZ20 and like them both. The XT should have less noise at all ISO settings and can go higher (probably only useful up to 800). But with only a f5.6 aperture, you can't use quite as fast of a shutter speed. If you can get a shutter speed around 1/250 or faster, camera shake becomes less of an issue. The real advantage of a dSLR to me is following moving subjects since it is an optical viewfinder. But it is hard to beat the versatility of the FZ20 (and soon FZ30). I keep mine for a "walkaround" camera.
Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2005, 8:46 PM   #20

This picture was takenusing FZ20 with red dot rifle sight.
Attached Images