Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:00 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 141
Default

I did try to modify one of those red dot sights myself, but just decided to go with the dSLR. A couple other things in my comparison of my two similar cameras:

1. The XT would of course start to pull away with something like a 70-200 f2.8 +/- a teleconverter. This of course could cost more than two FZ30's. But I like to shoot sports, and don't photograph birds at all.

2. The AI servo focus mode in the XT would be much better for moving objects during a burst (changing focal distance) since the FZ's don't change focus in a burst. If it is off for the first shot, all shots in the burst are off.

As you can tell, both have their strengths and weaknesses. I feel that I've got things pretty well-covered with both (although I'm upgrading to a 1D for sports).

FZ Strengths
-all-in-one with great zoom range and high-quality lens
-more powerful built-in flash (may just be my 10D, not as much in XT)
-fairly small
-built-in image stabilization

dSLR Strengths
-less noise at high ISO settings
-optical viewfinder
-AI focus mechanism
-lenses can be used with other cameras down the road

Hopefully, this helps. Even if the low-light AF isn't significantly better on the FZ30, the manual focus ring does look a lot better than the FZ20 and may make it more useable to you in low light.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:12 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
ruchai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 287
Default

srvsd wrote:
As you can tell, both have their strengths and weaknesses. I feel that I've got things pretty well-covered with both (although I'm upgrading to a 1D for sports).

FZ Strengths
-all-in-one with great zoom range and high-quality lens
-more powerful built-in flash (may just be my 10D, not as much in XT)
-fairly small
-built-in image stabilization

dSLR Strengths
-less noise at high ISO settings
-optical viewfinder
-AI focus mechanism
-lenses can be used with other cameras down the road



Thanks, you sum up very clear. But few will take two cameras along together. You can buy both of them plus the 1D but you can only use one camera at a time.

I think the FZ30 with it's bigger ccd, zoom ring andRAW file will be the best compromise for me. I do not buy your wisdom, "lenses can be used with other cameras down the road" though, my suitcase full of old Nikors had not been opened for years.:-)
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 1:09 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 301
Default

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
I think the FZ30 with it's bigger ccd, zoom ring andRAW file will be the best compromise for me. I do not buy your wisdom, "lenses can be used with other cameras down the road" though, my suitcase full of old Nikors had not been opened for years.:-)

Bigger CCD than what? Hopefully you're not suggesting it is bigger than the one on the XT.

The XT CCDhas 8.3 timesmore areathat the FZ30 CCD. The FZ30 uses a CCD that is typical of what is used for a point and shoot (which it is) and the XT uses a much larger CCD that is found on DSLR's.

Just wondering, but what is the advantage of the FZ30 over the Nikon Coolpix 8800 and the Canon Pro-1, since these are the two cameras it is competing against ... not the XT?The Pro-1 has a larger sensor (2/3")than the FZ30 if that is what matters to you the most, and both the Canon and the Nikon are supposed to have very good lenses ... and I know the Nikon has image stabilization like the FZ30.I admit thatI don't knowmuch aboutthese 3cams ... but would like to learn:-)


BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 1:59 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
ruchai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 287
Default

I use my camera maily to photograph birds. As far as I know both Canon and Nikon you mentioned do not have 12x zoom. I am quite happy with my FZ20 because of it's 36-420 mm eqivalent Leica zoom lens. The only thing I did not like is it's performance in poor light.

So my only alternative is maybe a dSLR with equal quality (light, sharp, image stabilizer) lens in the 400-600 mm range. It seems the FZ30 may not be the answer. I doupt wether the RebelXT with available Canon lenses will suit my need. I could not care less wether it's a dSLR or any kind of digital camera as long as it's images are as good as those from my FZ20but dobetter in poor light.



BobA wrote:
Quote:
ruchai wrote:
Quote:
I think the FZ30 with it's bigger ccd, zoom ring andRAW file will be the best compromise for me. I do not buy your wisdom, "lenses can be used with other cameras down the road" though, my suitcase full of old Nikors had not been opened for years.:-)

Bigger CCD than what? Hopefully you're not suggesting it is bigger than the one on the XT.

The XT CCDhas 8.3 timesmore areathat the FZ30 CCD. The FZ30 uses a CCD that is typical of what is used for a point and shoot (which it is) and the XT uses a much larger CCD that is found on DSLR's.

Just wondering, but what is the advantage of the FZ30 over the Nikon Coolpix 8800 and the Canon Pro-1, since these are the two cameras it is competing against ... not the XT?The Pro-1 has a larger sensor (2/3")than the FZ30 if that is what matters to you the most, and both the Canon and the Nikon are supposed to have very good lenses ... and I know the Nikon has image stabilization like the FZ30.I admit thatI don't knowmuch aboutthese 3cams ... but would like to learn:-)

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 2:02 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
polarwasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 167
Default

you can look at (in french...)

http://www.fnac.net/telecharg/dossie...ue_ete2005.pdf

which gives an advantage to the FZ-20 (the 30 is not in the review) over the 8800!

my 0.02€
Attached Images
 
polarwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:22 AM   #26
Super Moderator
 
peripatetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,599
Default

ruchai

As you have a bag full of Nikkor lenses - why don't you get yourself the Nikon D50 body and use them with that?

As you already have the FZ20 you will have a good combo - DSLR when you need it and Panasonic for the rest.

As an alternative I'd very seriously consider the Minolta 7D or 5D plus a Sigma 50-500 lens. That's going to be a very good birding combo - you get the anti-shake from the minolta body plus an excellent birding lens.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:48 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
ruchai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 287
Default

The only old Nikor that might do is a 400 f:4 ED. It's 20 years old, had no auto focus and I gave it to my son long time ago. Have to see wether he still use the old lens. I am thinking about the D50 with some suitable lens. Nikon has not yet market the D50 here in Thailand yet. I shall look into the Minolta 7D or 5D plus a Sigma 50-500 lens. Thanks.

Maybe becauseit is in the middle of rainy season here now that made me thinking of upgrading. Come the dry season from October to May we shall have plenty of sun shine then my FZ20 will also shine.:idea:
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:59 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
ruchai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 287
Default

Very interesting test but I do nt read French.:?

polarwasp wrote:
Quote:
you can look at (in french...)

http://www.fnac.net/telecharg/dossie...ue_ete2005.pdf

which gives an advantage to the FZ-20 (the 30 is not in the review) over the 8800!

my 0.02€
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 7:12 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
polarwasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
I do not read French
I thought it might be a problem...here is a key for the terms which don't have a direct translation to english

for the rose plot : rapidite=speed,the others are obvious

for the text:

Resolution GA = sharpnessat widest angle

Resolution tele = sharpness at shallowest angle

Distortion geometrique = a kind of MTF measurement

Vignetage ...

Lumiere du jour = day light conditions

Lumiere artificielle= tungsten (3200 K) light

Bruit de fond = background noise

puissance = power


polarwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 1:44 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 301
Default

Thanks polarwasp. Do they have a similar comparison to the Canon Pro-1?

Edit: Hmmm ... looking at the pdf again the results seem to be a bit meaningless ...
This looks to be a sales brochure, and not a test report. DP Review has a great review of the FZ20 thoughand a comparison with Kodak DX7590, Canon Powershot S1 and the Fuji Finepix S500... and it definitely came out at the clear winner. Not sure why they didn't compare it to the Nikon Coolpix 8800 or theCanon Pro-1 though.



Bob

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:45 PM.