Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 26, 2005, 2:47 PM   #31

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
ruchai

As you have a bag full of Nikkor lenses - why don't you get yourself the Nikon D50 body and use them with that?

As you already have the FZ20 you will have a good combo - DSLR when you need it and Panasonic for the rest.

As an alternative I'd very seriously consider the Minolta 7D or 5D plus a Sigma 50-500 lens. That's going to be a very good birding combo - you get the anti-shake from the minolta body plus an excellent birding lens.
That's a good combo peripatetic. Nice suggestion.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 3:19 AM   #32

Quote:
Hmmm ... looking at the pdf again the results seem to be a bit meaningless ...
This looks to be a sales brochure, and not a test report.
BobA, I see you point, but...

FNAC is a commercial organisation and they sell cameras among other things (they started as a "low-cost" book and music shop). However, their tests are regarded as objective by most people and accepted by the manufacturers becausethey clearly explain what they do and how they do it. So I think they have some value.

Also, Idon't see a big difference with a photo magazine...

I've never been disappointed when I made decision based on their tests.

Thedisadvantage is that they test only the products they sell, and that is alimitation.
polarwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 5:07 AM   #33

I think the FZ30 is the one for me. I usually have to crop my pictures, birds are sosmall. With 8MP it should give me plenty to crop. Their "extra optical zoom", or cropping in the camera, should help with focussing and metering. Changing SD card while camera is on the tripod is also what I like.

Always wanted to play with RAW files. I do not think I shall be constantly using RAW but I would like to try.

Switching to other cameras will need some learning curves. I think I shall stick to my FZ20 until early next year when I sholld had seen more reviews.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 8:16 AM   #34
NHL

polarwasp wrote:
Quote:
FNAC is a commercial organisation and they sell cameras among other things (they started as a "low-cost" book and music shop). However, their tests are regarded as objective by most people and accepted by the manufacturers because they clearly explain what they do and how they do it. So I think they have some value.
IMO FNAC (at least the Paris stores) is the equivalent of B&H here in the States - They carry all the equipments, and accessories that lesser stores wouldn't have and what they publish are pretty close (with more details) to what B&H would publish yearly and mail out to people home... They were the earliest adopter of the DO labs analysis, at least way before any reviewer in the States side.

The way to read the chart is most likely the bigger the shaded area the better the selection
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:27 PM   #35

NHL wrote:
Quote:
IMO FNAC (at least the Paris stores) is the equivalent of B&H here in the States - They carry all the equipments, and accessories that lesser stores wouldn't have and what they publish are pretty close (with more details) to what B&H would publish yearly and mail out to people home... They were the earliest adopter of the DO labs analysis, at least way before any reviewer in the States side.

The way to read the chart is most likely the bigger the shaded area the better the selection
Maybe that's what I'm fussing. It looks to me that the results have to be compared against similar equipment. I'll have to brush up on my French :lol:

By the brochure ... if I'm reading it right ... for point and shoots the Sony Cypershot DSC-828 seems to have way better results than the Panasonic Lumix FZ20, which is also much better than the Nikon Coolpix 8800. It's too bad that the Sony only has a 7x optical zoom, or it would be a good camera for ruchai to consider.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 2:57 AM   #36

Quote:
you got it , that's what rose plots have been invented for: easy reading of multiple dimension tests!
polarwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 11:06 PM   #37
djb

ruchai, you mentioned the fz20 having a 35mm equivalent of 420mm. i didn't see this mentioned but the canon rebel xt or the 20D with the 400mm/5.6 would be the 35mm equivalent of 640mm as the crop factor is 1.6X. someone mentioned the pro s1. it has image stabilization but is only 5megapixels. the pro s2 i think has 8 megapixels.if you're really going to take mainly bird shots, i would get a dSLR and a good lense. i have the 20D and i like the fact of interchangeable lenses and the 5fps continuous mode. oh, and also the ai servo focusing. oh, and the variety og image stabilized lenses. i use the 100-400mm L zoom right now. great general purpose lense and focuses top 6 ft and is good for flower and butterfly shots. just my 2 cents worth.

dennis

p.s. i think peripatetic's idea was the best. but, whatever dSLR system you buy (if you decide that way) you will have both cameras and have nice resources for many different types of photography. oh, sorry, i guess that was 3 cents worth.:-)
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 6:53 AM   #38

Thank you for your suggestions. The Canon 400mm. lenseswere designed for film which is 1"x1.5" which should give 600mm. 35 camera effective whenuse with digital cameras with much smaller ccd.

I still can not deside about switching to dSLR. I had used several SLR during my58 years with photography. I know they are very good. I know their long lenses are very heavy and expensive. The new digital cameras with 12x lenses do have 420mm. equivalent. The Leica lens on my FZ20 is very sharp. It has ISO 400 maximum and ISO 100 is the maximum I usually use.

I just had a look at the Canon 300L f:4 IS and like it. When I came home and took out my Panasonic I could not make up my mind between the light and sharp lens Panasonic and the better low light but very heavy and expensive Canon.

I still enjoy taking birdspictures with my FZ20. For flower and butterflies the FZ20 is perfect. Butterflies always come out in bright sunlight.

ruchai

djb wrote:
Quote:
ruchai, you mentioned the fz20 having a 35mm equivalent of 420mm. i didn't see this mentioned but the canon rebel xt or the 20D with the 400mm/5.6 would be the 35mm equivalent of 640mm as the crop factor is 1.6X. someone mentioned the pro s1. it has image stabilization but is only 5megapixels. the pro s2 i think has 8 megapixels.if you're really going to take mainly bird shots, i would get a dSLR and a good lense. i have the 20D and i like the fact of interchangeable lenses and the 5fps continuous mode. oh, and also the ai servo focusing. oh, and the variety og image stabilized lenses. i use the 100-400mm L zoom right now. great general purpose lense and focuses top 6 ft and is good for flower and butterfly shots. just my 2 cents worth.

dennis

p.s. i think peripatetic's idea was the best. but, whatever dSLR system you buy (if you decide that way) you will have both cameras and have nice resources for many different types of photography. oh, sorry, i guess that was 3 cents worth.:-)
Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:18 AM   #39

Ruchai

The FZ20 was my first love with digital, I fully understand your concern. In my opinion you will be very pleased with the new FZ30, its better in every way to the FZ20, but perhaps what will really knock your socks off is the possibility to shoot way beyond 432mm to 800+ and even more using Panasonic new technology. This alone should be enough to satisfy your needs. Personally I don't consider the FZ30 as an 8mp camera, I consider it an outstanding ultra mega zoom at 5-3mp! I think this is how Panasonic intended it to be.

Pleas read my post below

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=64639&forum_id=23

Kind regards
jobi64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:37 AM   #40

I do not think it is a new technology but just what I do all the time wih my FZ20. Itdoes iscropping the 8 mp pictures. You can do that with any digital camera by using the digital zoom or photo shop.

My problem with the FZ20 is it's performance in low light which I doubt Panasonic solved the problem in the FZ30.

I agree the FZ30 is better but maybe not better enough for me to upgrade to.The FZ20 ismy 6th digital camera after a Casio and4 Sony. I still think it is better for my uses than a dSLR. I am not a pro and use my cameras for my enjoyment only. I hate to carry heavy load when go out to photograph birds in the field. With my FZ20 I often use bicycle for such trips.

Thank for your comment.

ruchai

jobi64 wrote:
Quote:
Ruchai

The FZ20 was my first love with digital, I fully understand your concern. In my opinion you will be very pleased with the new FZ30, its better in every way to the FZ20, but perhaps what will really knock your socks off is the possibility to shoot way beyond 432mm to 800+ and even more using Panasonic new technology. This alone should be enough to satisfy your needs. Personally I don't consider the FZ30 as an 8mp camera, I consider it an outstanding ultra mega zoom at 5-3mp! I think this is how Panasonic intended it to be.

Pleas read my post below

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=64639&forum_id=23

Kind regards