Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 23, 2005, 2:57 PM   #1

I went to take this shot of a turtle on the pond today and noticed that I was getting NO response from the camera. Tried without lens, different (fully charged) batteries, removing the date-time battery for 10 seconds and replacing it, different CF cards, pressing all the buttons, removing all batteries for an hour (then replacing them), nothing. Has anyone had this experience before? I know it's not like a Palm Pilot where you can just perform a Hard Reset and that'll fix it most of the time but...is there something like that?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Amarand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2005, 11:55 PM   #2

How old is your camera? Also, how many actuations (exposures) has it performed?

Do you mean it does not focus at all?

How long ago was it that you took a good picture?

Has the camera been exposed to moisture, shock, etc... knowingly and unknowingly? By "unknowingly", has someone sabotaged your camera while you were not looking?

Is it really your camera?

Have you installed the "hack" software on it before this happened?

Does pressing the "Menu" button display the menu items in the LCD?

If it has to go back to Canon, is the shipping + repair costsworth it? Sorry, I have never sent anything in to Canon or any other authorized repair place.

Man, this is interesting. Let us know what you come up with.

San Antonio Flyer
SA Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 8:43 AM   #3

** How old is your camera?

I purchased it from a dealer in NYC new-in-box back in February of this year. It was sold as a kit, even though it was really just a body with the kit lens thrown in with bubble-wrap.

** Also, how many actuations (exposures) has it performed?

I wish I could tell you, but the camera is dead. The last shot I took was labelled (CRW_9180.CRW) so...does that mean 9180 actuations? Not sure!

** Do you mean it does not focus at all?

I mean it does not do ANYTHING at all.

** How long ago was it that you took a good picture?

Friday (7/22) morning. No problems with the camera that morning, all images looked fine.

** Has the camera been exposed to moisture, shock, etc... knowingly and unknowingly? By "unknowingly", has someone sabotaged your camera while you were not looking?

The camera hasn't been exposed to anything but walking around in a big, padded Canon camera bag. The chances of someone sabotaging my camera are pretty slim...I work in an environment where someone would have to go through a lot just to physically get to my camera.

** Is it really your camera?

Yes, it is really my camera. I've taken thousands of pictures with it, and I have a receipt.

** Have you installed the "hack" software on it before this happened?

No, thank GOD! (Because then I'd be warrantiless [is that even a word?])

** Does pressing the "Menu" button display the menu items in the LCD?

Pressing any button causes the camera to nothing...no reaction...and I did try "everything" I could imagine. Even holding buttons while turning the camera on and off.

** If it has to go back to Canon, is the shipping + repair costsworth it? Sorry, I have never sent anything in to Canon or any other authorized repair place.

Well...the shipping costs for me involve $29.99 for DHL to ship it and get it there next business day by noon. I believe I have a one-year warranty with Canon, so there will be no repair costs, I hope. And, yes...it's all worth it. I love my camera...just sad it "died" all of a sudden.

** Man, this is interesting. Let us know what you come up with.

Will do, and thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2005, 9:04 AM   #4

Call the Canon Help Desk (it's toll-free) and describe the problem. If they can't solve the issue over the phone, they'll give you instructions for shipping it back for repair. My wife's A75 is in the process right now. They'll ask for a detailed letter concerning symptoms and a copy of your receipt. I mailed her camera to Canon on Monday and received an e-mail on Saturday stating it was received and will be fixed free of cahrge, pending an inspection for water or sand intrusion and/or signs of abuse. They promised the camera back in ten working days.

The whole process has been painless, with no long waits on the phone, so far... so good.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:26 AM   #5

Oh, they were very pleasant on the phone but...aside from the troubleshooting they (and I) performed, it's still dead so I'm thinking I'll mail it off tomorrow.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 8:07 AM   #6

Hi, No expert talking hear but the same thing happened to me one minute taking pics next camera died on me.

I changed the batteries but still nothing then I noticed it!!!

The Battery grip had come just slightly loose this obviously ment that the contacts did not touch, tightened up and all is fine.

This is assumimg you are using a battery grip as you mentioned batteries and not battary in your post.

Hope you get it sorted.

russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 9:30 AM   #7

No battery grip, unfortunately. I actually checked the contacts, and things seem to be visually okay. I mean, the camera was brand-new back in February and the contacts look clean. Just weirdness. I guess it goes to show that a professional photographer should have at least one spare, backup camera, eh?
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:16 AM   #8
Super Moderator

yup.. send it back, they should be able to take care of it for you.. i keep an older EOS film body for my backup as i can't afford another dslr!! but it is kinda scary in this world of digital where there is more to go wrong..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 2:01 PM   #9

My Digital Rebel had the exact problem all of a sudden one day. I sent it to Canon and got it back in about 10 days, fully repaired & functional. I even had the hack installed and it came back with the hack installed. It was pretty smooth.

SD
Sam D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 2:14 PM   #10

I just wonder what it could be...? It's really annoying! But if your hack was installed, that probably means it was something pretty basic, like voltage-related? I wonder if the higher-end Canons have similar problems?