Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:14 PM   #1
JCL

I had a Digital Rebel (ES300) which came with the 18-55mm Kit Lens. I then bought a second hand EOS 10D and a Sigma 18-125mm. The Sigma is now my all-purpose lens but I have to admit it is rather heavy and it felt that way especially when used with the Magnesium bodied 10D.

I tried to put the EF-S 18-55 Kit lens on the 10D and it doesn't fit. Is that normal? Would the newer 17-85mm fit the 10D or the ES300?
JCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:38 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the 18-55 and the 17-85 are EF-S mount lenses.. this mount was introduced with the digital rebel and therefore after the introduction of the 10d.. your 10d has a normal EF mount, therefore these EF-S lenses are not compatible...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 7:29 AM   #3

Hards80 is correct. However, there are some modded EFS 18-55mm out there. I recently bought one myself to use on my 10d. This was right after buying a EFS 18-55mm for my 20d that I will be returning to after my tour in Iraq. So I now have two EFS 18-55mm lenses for different uses. There is a write-up of how to do the mod yourself, but i wasn't trusting myself to cut the end off a lens. The one that I bought appears to have been done using precison equipment as described and thus will work beautifully.
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 10:32 PM   #4
JCL

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've looked at that website. It's not what I would do to a lens myself. Others may be able to do it more "professionally" but I figured the warranty's void. I'm leaning towards the Sigma 18-50 mm, which comes with an EF mount. Sigma has 2 lenses. The f3.5-5.6 is very light and fits my need for a lighter alternative to the heavy 18-125mm. The new f2.8 is almost as heavy and as large as the 18-125mm and way too expensive for me. They also have a new f1.8 30mm fixed lens. Quality's probably very good but again too expensive.

Old Aug 6, 2005, 12:14 AM   #5

The mod you speak of is surgically removing a safety device that prevents the EF-s lens from being mounted on a normal full frame EF mount camera (the 10D because of its age has the standard EF mount). The result of which would be a destroyed mirror on the larger sensored cameras.

If you never plan to upgrade, or are real careful with hat you mount you should be OK.
Trouble is those KIT lenses are so cheap why bother. ?

Peter
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 5:20 AM   #6

JCL, maybe I misunderstood the second part of your question...should have just answered with a "yes" and then a "no". I was not actually recommending anything, just letting you know that there are options out there. Iwould definitely not cut up a EFS 17-85mm...As for theEFS 18-55mm, I am not worried about a warranty on a lens that cost $50. Still I wouldn't cutit up because I don't have the know-how. The one that I bought modded cost me $70 shipped, so I didn't think that was too bad, especially since it is one of my "temporary' lenses. I didn't mind spending the$70 sinceI bought a brand new un-modded 18-55mm for $30 for my other camera. I didn't want the EF 28-105mm and didn't want to spendmore money on what is to be a temporary lens. Again! It was just noting an option that is not expensive. BTW the Sigma 18-50mm is a nice lens.

JCL wrote:
Quote:
I had a Digital Rebel (ES300) which came with the 18-55mm Kit Lens. I then bought a second hand EOS 10D and a Sigma 18-125mm. The Sigma is now my all-purpose lens but I have to admit it is rather heavy and it felt that way especially when used with the Magnesium bodied 10D.

I tried to put the EF-S 18-55 Kit lens on the 10D and it doesn't fit. Is that normal? Would the newer 17-85mm fit the 10D or the ES300?
Old Aug 6, 2005, 7:19 AM   #7
JCL

About the "nice" Sigma 18-50mm, do you mean the 3.5-5.6 or the 2.8? Is that opinion based on hands-on experience?

I didn't mean to press too hard for answers. At the wide end (18mm), is there much distortion compared to the Canon 18-55 or 17-85 ?

Old Aug 6, 2005, 12:50 PM   #8

I was referring to the 3.5-5.6, haven't had the opportunity to use the f/2.8...As a walk around lens, the Sigma 18-50mm would to me rate slightly higher than the Canon 18-55mm. Keep in mind the Canon itself is not a bad lens considering the price. I would say the wide end of the Sigma is a little less distortion than the Canon 18-55mm.Iif you are considering Sigma lenses, make sure you go to www.sigma4less.com as they tend to have better prices on those lenses.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 3:52 PM   #9
JCL

These guys are in Brooklyn. Wouldn't Sigma have a problem with an outfit using their name for the website? Cheap prices though. Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 4:12 PM   #10

Don't know, maybe Sigma appreciates it due to the publicity that they receive. I have only heard good things from the business and there are a lot of people that buy their lenses through them.....I am trying to decide between the Canon 70-200mm f/4L and the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8. If I go with the Sigma, I will order it through them.