Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 25, 2005, 5:40 AM   #1
Super Moderator

I'm having real trouble with the Sigma flash.

I don't need a complex flash, preferring to use available light where possible, but my requirement was that it integrate with the 20D and be powerful enough to use bounce flash with a diffuser. All the other fancy features I don't anticipate ever using or needing.

I was persuaded to go for the DG Super rather than the Canon 420, and I find I am bitterly regretting my decision.

All I want from a flash is that it should simply work as a more powerful version of the pop-up flash.

My current procedure:
I switch the camera and flash off.
Attach the flash.
Switch the camera on, then the flash. (Though I have tried the reverse too.)
Set the mode on the flash to ETTL. (Though I have tried other modes with no success either.)
Set the mode on camera to Av or M.
Press the shutter.

The flash doesn't fire. The only way I can make it fire is to press the "Test" button on the flash unit. The last time I used it, about 6 weeks ago, I feel sure that this procedure did work. If my problem were that I wasn't getting the exposure right I would assume that it was just me.

My hope is that I'm simply ignorant of the proper procedures, alas the manual doesn't help.

Am I doing something wrong or is it broken?

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:23 AM   #2
Super Moderator

does it work in automatic or program modes?

i have the same setup as you and have had none of these problems. it might be worth a call into Sigma and/or Canon.

it might be worth going down to your local pro shop first and seeing if it is doing this with any other flashes before doing anything. that could at least tell you if the problem is either on the flash or the camera side..

good luck man, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 2:25 PM   #3

It could be possible that you got a Sigma EF-500 DG Super that is not for a canon camera. Does it saySigma EF-500 DG SuperEO-ETTL? if is has something besides the "EO" it is for another camera brand, and will not work with the Canon.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 3:19 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I spoke to a chap at a local shop and he said it should just work, and I'm not doing anything wrong.

It was rather perplexing however that it worked a few weeks ago and yesterday it didn't.

I know that NiMh batteries don't hold a charge for terribly long, even though they may not have been used since their last recharge - so I thought I'd try a fresh set because it's been a few weeks since I charged my stash.

And it works fine again. Silly me!

But a word of warning - there was sufficient charge in the batteries to fire the flash when I pressed the "Test" button, and recharge time didn't seem too bad between test flashes - very similar to a fresh charge, and the LCD on the flash seemed just fine. :?

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 4:07 PM   #5
NHL

peripatetic

When the batteries are weak the distance scale on the EF-500 DG Super doesn't show up (ie to indicate the flash range)... even though the rear LCD turns on just like normal
-> this also prevents you from using the manual mode since the flash output is uncalibrated then
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 4:10 PM   #6
Super Moderator

glad to hear it is working again for you... and NHL thanks for the forewarning on my sigma 500, if i dont see my distance scale i will know what the problem is!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote