Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 27, 2005, 7:33 PM   #1

Hi,I have a 300D and vassias Hack,Is there anyway to activate the "tracking focus" mode that works when the camera is in "Sports Mode" when using AP or Av or M?

gaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2005, 7:58 PM   #2

Nope...

I've seen a website showing a hack involving inserting a key of some sort in the remote slot that activates servo mode focusing, but none of the hacks I've seen (including Wasia's which is in my Rebel) activates servo focusing mode.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 8:00 PM   #3

the problem i had was at this years wimbledon.The action is too fast to manualy focus,yet the "Sports" mode doesnt allow me any adjustments,and it uses ISO 400.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 11:59 PM   #4

I did my teenage daughter's tennis team'smatches during the spring. Most of the games were in sunshine with few clouds with ISO 400 and the biggest aperture allowed by the lens/camera. All with a Tamron 70-300 F3.5, a slow-to-focus lens. What lens did you use?

The players' speeds did not go as fast as Wimbledon's yet it took some tracking (or camera movement) to keep the player within the boundaries of the viewfinder. That is, without losing the player's racquet, limbs, or head. Full body shots only produced teeny player's in the image. It was not easy.

My camera has the first version of the UnDutchables hack. The second version purported to have the AI Servo mode, but it proved to be more trouble for me. It required some finger work that I was not willing to continue trying to perfect.

From my low-experience, I found that the 300D does focus quick enough to capture the shot. Of course, the lens has to be able to respond accordingly.

Another thing I read about was to set the camera tothe Center Focusing point. The middle-most reddot. Therefore,all I focused on was the player's chest area, or further below. I cannot remember. Because there was enough sunshine, the Mode dial was set to F5.6, and the camera was allowed to set the Tv. Other times, I set the Mode dial to Manual, the F-stop to F536, and adjusted the Tv as needed. A lot of work, but well worth it. I also had to create my own Parameter 1 with one value less of each setting within. That works for me, but maybe not for you. What works for me is keeping the "marker" in theexposure level indicator in the viewfinderjust to the right of the middle-most tick mark. (I hope that makes sense?)

Anyway, many times (in Manual mode)I was able to catch the ball either just before or just after the racquet met it, and most especially with the player's eyes following the ball. And, it also included the player's facial expression which was a ego booster for me whenpeople oohed and aahed over my photos.

I have tried the "key" mentioned by a post here, and that did not work at all. The inventor of that idea must have imagined that. Also, I fabricated (per a post in DPReview.com) a type of controller that involved two roller switches with a mini stereophoneplug that plugged into the Remote Controller jack. It sort of was not as effective as I had hoped for. Plus, it was cumbersome to mount and operate.

The Digital Rebel/300D/Kiss focuses fast enough for most action. That is , the action that I have had to deal with. Such as Track, Basketball, Tennis, Volleyball.

I hope that this lengthy reply helps. Note - I am in no way an expert. Just an enthusiast who enjoys photographing my world.

San Antonio Flyer

SA Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 4:46 AM   #5

SA Flyer.

Thanks for the reply.I got about 2000 very usable shots from wimbledon with a Sigma 70-300 APO mkII.I hardly needed to use more that 200mm anyway.

I guess the main reason for wanting the AI servo was that the camera got the meetering wrong quite often, when the light was low (7-8pm and later).I know the 300D is not what one is ment to use at wimbledon,but it did sort of ok.
Attached Images

Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:49 PM   #6

That's a very good shot for a 300D in the evening. I don't think that I could have done any better. It makes mewonder how an F2.8lenswould have performed? It may be that the limitation here was the lack of a faster lens. That's a killer shot.

You actually took 2,000 shots? How many CF cards did you have with you? Or, did you have some sort of portable storage device?

I am no expert, but I thought that AI Servo will onlyperform focusing on the moving subject. Correct me if I am wrong, but I really don't think that AI Servo will take care of light metering.

The UnDutchalbes (UD) firstversion actuallyallows AI Servo but it is inconsistent when it comes to firing the shutter. The second version required a combination of holding down the left arrow key on the keypad while pressing the shutter button. If you want a copy of that let me know. The UD contains all the Wasia code on it as well. So, you won't lose anything and you will gain about 4 other features. I believe that a search in this forum will turn up some info on this topic.

So far, in my experience, when a white subject is in front of a black background, the meter is measuring for the white area. That is, if the white area is right, smack dab in the central part of the viewfinder. Which it appears to be for the picture you provided. Had the metering area been covering the black area, the subject's white outfit would have looked washed out . No detail such as the folds and wrinkles in her uniform would have shown clearly. It's tough getting it right consistently. For that picture that you provided, the subject and the background looks like that may be as good as it will get.

Yes, I too have heard that the 300D is not a favorable camera for fast-moving sports such as tennis. It is a tad slow. But, what can we do? Some of us can't go out plunking down another outlay of cash easily. I can't. Therefore, I keep trying with my Rebel. It's really a good camera for its price and for the level of photographer that I am. It has taken me a lot of exploration to figure it out. I know that I am not where I want to be with it.

The high school sports season is coming up, and the Sports Director wants me to be back out there again taking pictures for various reasons. Last year's pictures were featured in a sports banquet slideshow. They all drew "wows". Try doing that with a Point and Shoot. Some even made it into the year book. That made me feel good.

I think that you did very good.

SA Flyer

Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:06 AM   #7

To answer your 1st question i have a bunch of CF cards and a Micro Drive totaling 8GB.This photo is not one of the overexposed photos i was getting,it was just an example of what the camera can do.AI Servo helps a lot as the players are moving a lot.When you zoom in at lets say 200-300mm you have to keep focusing on the subject(eyes.racket whatever).What i would have liked was to have the ability to set everything to manual and ingore the meetering altoghether.Thats why i would have loved to have the AI Servo with the settings i set in M.Out of the 2000 shots i took that day i got about 800 usable which is not too bad for a slow camera like the 300D.

The camera did quite well from a distance,but when you're only 20m away from the subject and want to zoom in its another matter.

The 300D is a great camera for the price and i like it better than the 350D.This one is just too small even with the grip.I',m now looking into a 2nd hand 20D or possibly a 1Dmk2.I spoke to lots of photographers at Wimbledon in the press room(even though i didnt have a pass,noone ask me if i had one),and they didnt do much better.I could post some of the bad shots i made,but threis no point.

I was very happy with the Sigma 70-300APO Mk2,i expected it to be worse.Turns out to be a great lens for the money.

Thanks for the reply
Old Jul 29, 2005, 8:27 AM   #8
NHL

gaida wrote:
Quote:
What i would have liked was to have the ability to set everything to manual and ingore the meetering altoghether.
This is something I would do as well for to prevent under/overexposure...

The camera is set to measure neutral grey and metering off the white outfit over a varying dark/black background never work - at least for me when I try to shoot white birds :-)

... Unless there's varying cloud cover I would just set my camera once using an incident handheld meter. As to the AF, I use one shot AF even when shooting actions, for me the AI focus is just too unpredictable and you end up shooting more shots than necessary
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:45 AM   #9

Hey, gaida. If getting a 20D is possible, by all means, go for it. My dream camera would be the 1DM2, but my CFO does not agree with my wishes. Gotta work on her psyche some more, longer.

How about posting a few of your "lesser" pics?

As NHL says, it is a challenge for the camera to meter exactly for each shot. For this reason, I keep shooting. Depending on the player and the show he/she is putting on for me, I will take as little as5 shots minimum and as many as 20 shots per player.

I hope that you move to the 20D (or better) before the next season comes up.

SA Flyer
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:07 AM   #10
Super Moderator

NHL wrote
Quote:
... Unless there's varying cloud cover I would just set my camera once using an incident handheld meter.
Hahaha you've obviously never been to Wimbledon. The light changes by the minute - unless it's raining of course.

Except '97 - when the sun shone for 2 weeks solid without a cloud as I recall.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote