Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 28, 2005, 12:00 AM   #1

...for a slightly watered Eos Digital Rebel?

I screwed up yesterday and managed to get this thing wet enough for the camera to freak out and to have visable water drops on inside of the lcd.

What it did when it freaked was the shutter just tripped repeatedly...like a motor drive.

The CF card was fine...is fine.

I have been running a fan in front of it all day, in a hot sunny area. The drops are gone though you can still see a ghost of a drop on there. I put the battery back in late this afternoon (got it wet yesterday afternoon) and stoked it up. The only sign of life was the light in the info panel came on...otherwise nothing....though I did not check it out closely...I quickly turned it off and pulled the battery again.

Any advice? Damn darn darn and darn it again. I love this camera. A careless dork am I.
Orf4.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2005, 4:24 PM   #2

I don't have many answers for you but the main thing is that you dry it for ages before you try to power it up. It's similar to when you get your mobile phone wet... to have any chance of saving it you have to dry it out totally before you insert the battery or you may short some of the circuits. I would try to dry it out for days and days in a warm dry place. Alternatively take out some camera insurance and have an 'accident' in about 3 months time[img]/forums/images/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
jonathan1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 6:14 AM   #3

Hang it out to dry.

I reckon a week should do it, and then you may not get it back but it's worth a try. Or just send it for repair.

It will take a long time to dry out if it got really wet but being a low voltage device it may well survive as long as you let it dry completely, 24 hours is no where near long enough.

Hope it works out fine in the end.

cheers

Mart.:sad:
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 6:27 AM   #4

Keep in mind there may be some long term reliability issues. I would not use it for something as critical as weddings, or jurnalism. This is one of the reasons I do not turst such things from Ebay. It may work now, but how much will it corrode in the future. If you do eventually sell it be sure to disclose the incedent as it could come back to haunt you.
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:44 AM   #5

Well, I may have already fried the thing as I did try and power it up 24 hours after and late yesterday as well. Thing is, I live in a dry area...had the camera in a very hot window with a fan on it.

It did not get fully emerged...just one end in a small puddle...in a rubber raft. (don't ask:?)

At this point, it really does look quite dead...and as pointed out, even if it did work now it might malfunction down the line.

Funny you should mention the insurance thing....exactly what a buddy of mine said yesterday....this has got me thinking:G

Thanks for all the help folks. I used this site to help choose my camera...first place I thought of to sort this wee problem out.

Cheers
Orf4.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 11:36 AM   #6

Orf4.5 wrote:
Quote:
Funny you should mention the insurance thing....exactly what a buddy of mine said yesterday....this has got me thinking:G

Wouldn´t think about that - there are ways to confirm just how long a techincal device has been corroded - not to mention the moral angle

Ciao, Wolfie
wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote