Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 28, 2005, 7:27 PM   #1

If i use my camera on one of the automatic programs, and it constantly overexposes, all i have to do is turn down the "EV" right?

so, does that affect the selected aperture and shutter speeds? how does the camera select a "lower EV" on aperture priority mode for example.

thanks.
sajdahgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:21 PM   #2

First, are you talking about the 300D? With a questions such as this, I doubt that you could be referring to a 20D or higher. But, I have been proven wrong before.

Assuming the 300D, the automatic programs do not allow any Ev adjustments. The DReb does all the settings for you, and they cannot be altered. If the lighting changes, the little computer inside the camera automatically adjusts the programto that immediately.

Your second question stumps me as I am not an expert yet. My answer would be that yes, it (the automatic programs) do affect the shutter and aperture settings. And, you have no control over them. No matter how far you turn the dial.

As for the third question about the lower Ev on the aperture priority (Av) mode. Whenin Av mode, the camera automatically selects a Tv (shutter speed) for the given lighting that it sees. You can point the camera to a dark object, a light object, etc, and the Ev indicator changes accordingly. So, whatever it reads just before pressing the shutter button is what you get. Even a tiny movement of the camera can move the Ev indicator pretty far.

Back to Av mode. Choose an aperture setting, aim at something, then look through the viewfinder. If you know for sure that you want to decreae the Ev, then turn the dial so as to move the indicator left or right. In my experience, so far, if I move the indicator to the right, it lightens up the resulting picture. The opposite direction darkens the resulting picture. Try this on something while taking notes, then look at the images on your PC.

Also, look at the Historgram for any differences in the curves. Too far to the right, or too far too the left. I still fail to understand them fully, but I am getting better at interpreting them.

May I suggest that you check out this site for lots of helpful information on taking pictures with a Canon Rebel.

http://www.photoworkshop.com/

Here'sa Nikon-only site. Somewhere in it, it explainsHistograms and how to read them. It also offers a short comparative review of the 300D vs the D70. It's all useful information.

http://www.bythom.com/

I hope that this helps you some how.

San Antonio Flyer

SA Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 1:43 AM   #3
Super Moderator

the 300D offers exposure comp.. as do all of canon's dslrs..

and yes, if you are constantly overexposing, first check to make sure you don't have an ev of +somthing anyways and didnt notice it.. and then check your metering mode and make sure your in matrix/evaluative meter..

but yes, if you are still overexposing, you can dial in a -EV..

i find it useful to use about a -1/3 to -2/3 during bright overhead sunlight on very light and/or colorful subjects against a darker background..

and yes exp comp works by altering aperture or shutter speed..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 1:45 AM   #4
Super Moderator

btw if you are still using the little green box and the other scene modes..

do yourself a favor and at least go over to P.. and then learn to us AV..

i think you may have to be in P,AV,TV,M to use exp comp.. but i am not sure i have never used the other side of the dial..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote