Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:19 AM   #1
dlw

I've been going out and taking pictures to get used to my Rebel XT. I take a shot in full auto mode, then switch to Program mode and take the same shot. The photos in Auto mode are always sharper, quite noticable. What am I doing wrong when using P mode? I've tryed the kit lens and also my Canon 75-300 IS lens and the same thing happens. I'm sure I'm just missing something and I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!
dlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:33 AM   #2

The only explanation for what you are seeing has to be in the shutter speed/aperture combination. Take a look at those readings in all your shots and you'll probably have your answer.

(P)rogram mode does not always pick the fastest shutter speed, it usually will go with a middle aperture, meaning slower shutter speeds. Take a look at the sharpest image you've shot in manual mode. Chances are the shutter speed used was quite a bit faster than the shutter speed used in the blurred shots, especially the ones shot closer to the 300mm end of your zoom where the magnification makes it harder to keep your camera steady.

If that is the case, you need to be looking at the settings the camera pics out in Program Mode. Canon DSLR's offer program shift where you can adjust the exposure settings while in program mode- you need to utilize that feature. You do so by turning the command dial, located near the shutter release. That will increase or decrease the shutter speed depending on what direction you turn it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 3:36 PM   #3
dlw

Thank you Gregg. I went back out and shot some moreplaying with shutter speed, apeture, etc and saw lots of improvement. I am determined to master this thing and I'm having a lot offun doing so. Myhope is to record as many old barns in my area as possible. The city is expanding so fast that soon they will all be gone. Across the street from the attached picture is a new high-end housing be readied. I had to wait between shots for the dust from the earth scaper to settle down.

Old Jul 30, 2005, 3:37 PM   #4
dlw

BTW, I had that barn picture printed outat 8 x 10 and it turned out great. I hope it looksOK on other's screens, it looks rather so so on my old 17" monitor.

Old Jul 31, 2005, 2:15 AM   #5

The two times I've gone to the Baseball Hall of Fame I flew in to Albany, rented a car & drove to Cooperstown. Lots of georgeous old barns all over the place up there just like that. Beautiful country.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote