Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 3, 2005, 11:49 AM   #11

Yes Peter its true,storage is quite a problem also,just starting to deal with that too.Its just such a learning curve and it isn't just moving to a new camera,so many new things to learn.Digital is great for its easily checked images,but theres the new camera ,learning Photoshop CS,then the storage problems too,plus all the workflow problems and adjustments which must be learned along the way.

I tooka 2 dayJohn Shaw seminar on how he photographs and his digital experiences and workflow and that was quite an eyeopener.Just recently I've been looking into DVD storage and so far I match and Archive Creator look about the best.But even then its almost a twofold problem as you nd a program to burn,but also another to catalog the images. Let me know what you think as far as that goes.
Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:07 PM   #12

I've been using Imatch to catalogue http://www.photools.com/ .
Haven't solved the archive/backup yet. Been using Nero that came with my dual layer dvd burner to just dump directories to DVD. Really need something better.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:18 PM   #13

I'll also recommend IMatch. Very well done. A few bugs, but very stable. For example, how does it get alphabetical sort order wrong some times??? Come on!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 2:10 PM   #14

:-) I bet they accidently used that little known function that does "a" before "b" except on Tuesday :blah:

Peter.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 2:15 PM   #15
Super Moderator

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
:-) I bet they accidently used that little known function that does "a" before "b" except on Tuesday :blah:

Peter.

lol guys..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 3:47 PM   #16

Peter,

I concur regarding slides & digital - the following is of topic:

- nobody uses the storage media from -say- 10 years ago

- what makes you think you can use nowaday´s cd´s, dvd´s and so on 10 years from now?

- will the software you use to store the images today be compatible to the one you use 10 y from now? (only think about the looming 64k!)

- imvho: securing your images is a very time-consumig and indefinitlyongoing process!:blah:

ciao, Wolfie

wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:07 PM   #17

:-) nothing, that is one of my pet compalints with new tech.

You have to move your archives to new media while you still have access to the old readers.
AND you may have to update the file formats if the old ones are on their way out.

Lot of extra work in this digital thing that you did not have with film.

Peter.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:26 PM   #18

Well,

I´ve set up a Linux-Raid 5-server, which should be quite secure against mechanical fa*lures & bugs - critical data & pictures are still saved regulary at cd`s - if their ´e going outof fashion , i´ll switch to the data storageUhura used onboard Enterprise:evil:.

Ciao, Wolfie

wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote