Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:24 PM   #1

Any word or rumors as far as specs for the inevitable arrival of the 30D or a successor to the 20D?

What do you think Canon will have on this camera and when do you think we'll see it?

My guess is they'll go for a 10-12MP sensor, 6-8FPS rapid fire mode, etc. Price will be $1,600 for body. This is all just guessing on my part bear in mind
roboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2005, 1:23 AM   #2
Super Moderator

guesses are just that.. i think we will see a "tweener" before the 30d.. somethin between the 20d and the 1ds series.. the rumour there is 12.4mp 1.3x 5fps..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 7:48 AM   #3

Ain't rumors wonderfull:!:

If the 1.3x crop rumor is right anyone with a EF-s lens can just chuck them if they want to upgrade :-).

(Unless this is supposed to be a replacement for the 1d-MkII body which is already a 1.3x crop camera)

IMHO: I think they should go the route Mamiya and Haselblad have gone and use a 22mp 36mm*48mm sensor :-) Physically twice the size of a standard fullframe DSLR sensor.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 7:12 AM   #4

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14509007
Luff Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 3:03 PM   #5

All just pie in the sky, but I have to say that to be honest the only things that would be likely to make me upgrade would be :-

1) even less noise (20D is good, but I'll be happy when I can use ISO 3200 with noise results about the same as ISO 100 currently is :? - humm, maybe not in the immediate future then... )

2) Greater dynamic range - I think this is the killer for me and what generally messes me up more than anything else. Yes, there are "get arounds" using multiple exposures but that relies on a static or pretty well static subject.
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 1:39 PM   #6

hi, have any of you seen this????

http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf
what do you think true or false ?????
santhosh c.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 2:17 PM   #7

:blah: I'll believe it when I see it formally announced by Canon. :blah:

Until then speculation is fun:!: and I won't be upgradeing my personal DSLR until there is at least a 100% increase in resolution. For the 20D/350d that means the next body will need a 32 megapixel sensor and all the associated storage issues that go along with that.

Squonk: you need to check into the curent MF digitals, their dynamic range is 9 to 11 stops depending on the vendor/model. Again big expense and big storage issues.
But their range has passed slide and c41 film, and is matching good B&W capabilities.
The sensor that allows this is 2x the size of a 35mm piece of film (36mm*48mm) so it won't be showing up in small format DSLR cameras anytime soon. :idea:
MF is alive and well, Long live MF .

Peter.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 4:25 AM   #8

Looks like the Canon 30D might come later withnthe latest rumors being theCanon 5D with a 13 megapixel sensor.

Pictures and pdf specifications can be viewed on http://www.infodigitalcamera.com

I don't think the leaked info are fakes.

waheguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 7:52 PM   #9

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Squonk: you need to check into the curent MF digitals, their dynamic range is 9 to 11 stops depending on the vendor/model. Again big expense and big storage issues.
But their range has passed slide and c41 film, and is* matching good B&W* capabilities.
The sensor that allows this is 2x the size of a 35mm piece of film (36mm*48mm) so it won't be showing up in small format DSLR cameras anytime soon. :idea:
MF is alive and well, Long live MF .
Sounds wonderful Peter. Alas I don't think that the budget would stretch to medium format digital, and even if it did then I think that the Domestic Authorities might have a thing or two to say about it :-)

I've been quite impressed with some results I've seen from the Fuji S3 Pro (I think it was, too late at night for me to bother looking it up) recently and I guess that would be a realistic starting point. Obviously this isn't going to match the kind of dynamic range you're talking about from the digital MFs.

I guess I would round off on a more realistic note than my original post. I would like to see improvements in both the noise and dynamic range over and above an increase in resolution. I had also thought about onboard image stabilization, but something tells me that Canon would rather make the money on IS lenses (onboard = buy IS once, on lens = possibly buy IS many times) and that certainly seems to be the way they are going.

It'll be interesting to look back on these kind of posts in five years time or so and see how much of it has come to pass.
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:08 PM   #10

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=65353&forum_id=37&jump_t o=356738#p356738
Just because some runor-mongering sites with no credibility post faked announcements dosen't make it so.

:cart:If Canon announces a product release I will believe it exists, but not until then :-)
Peter.

waheguru wrote:
Quote:
Looks like the Canon 30D might come later withnthe latest rumors being theCanon 5D with a 13 megapixel sensor.

Pictures and pdf specifications can be viewed on http://www.infodigitalcamera.com

I don't think the leaked info are fakes.