Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 8, 2005, 7:11 PM   #11

Dingles wrote:
Quote:
Hi!

Paid $1347 from Butterfly.com in May 05. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Sounds like you were luckyand you got what you wanted. From their rating I'd stay away from them.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller4576.html

Their prices are the same as www.buydig.com, and buydig has a MUCH better rating.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 8:18 AM   #12

For me, I had decided to buy a 20D in the "next few months." I added it to my amazon cart with a few other items which I want to price watch. Then, just before the $100 rebate ended, the price was lowered to $1200 for the kit. I - being an amazon slave - also have an amazon CC which gives me 3% store credit on purchases, and I did their silly little A9 thing (which gives you a 1.57% discount). On top of that they had a free memory card deal (a viking 256MB), and even though it was free I still was able to get a $5 rebate on that.Being tax free and selecting free shipping didn't hurt either.

So, after a mess of petty rebates and price shaves, I paidabout $1150 for the kit up front, and got $105 in rebates and $36 in future amazon credit. It would have actually cost more at the time to just get the body.

Thing is, the very next day the 20D's price went up by about $150, and the rebate ended. While this doesn't help you right now, if you do the same thing and don't mind waiting up to two months, I'm sure you can replicate the process, more or less.

Also, Canon is probably releasing a new dSLR in a month, which may either lower the 20D's price, or cause there to be a lot of used ones up for sale.
Michael242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 2:48 PM   #13

The rumour is that Canon is releasing a new higher end DSLR that won't be competing with the 20D. It will have a much larger sensor and a muchhigher cost. In my opinion treat DSLR's like pc's ... when you want one, go and buy it and forget about waiting for a deal to come by. Otherwise, why not wait even longer (say 5 years) and get an absolutely amazing DSLR ... after all, by then the consumer ones will probably have full size sensors (if you want), and have over 16 MP, etc, etc.

I also really doubt that you will see the price of a 20D drop much before Christmas 2005. Just my guess, but hey, it's as good as anyone elses. :-)

Bob
Old Aug 9, 2005, 9:06 PM   #14

~Good point. I've been checking out Dell to see if they have any coupon codes out there. I'd rather buy form a reputable dealer, Ritz, etc., and might end up going with Ritz being that they have free shipping and no sales tax. Well see how it all pans out. Next it's the lenses...:-)~

8)
PhillyPhotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 7:06 PM   #15

Go check out amazon. Don't know what the deal is, but its quite low from a respecatble reseller right now.
sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 1:15 AM   #16

Amazon has it for $1369.94 after their $30 discount, which is just a bit more expensive than B&Hwho isa bit more expensive thanwww.buydig.com . The other hits on the Amazon sites that show ridiculously low prices for the 20D (like $720 new)are very likely NOT reputable dealers.

Bob
Old Aug 12, 2005, 3:00 PM   #17

I don't know if it will go through or not, but I ordered a new 20D with an EF-S 18-55 lensfor $750 at Astronomocs via amazon.com.

So far it looks like they may actually deliver on what must have been a pricing error.

I guess I'll find out in the next week.
mike65401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 3:52 PM   #18
Administrator

mike65401 wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if it will go through or not, but I ordered a new 20D with an EF-S 18-55 lensfor $750 at Astronomocs via amazon.com.

So far it looks like they may actually deliver on what must have been a pricing error.

Mike:

Let us know what happens there. I was participating in athread on another forum last night, when prices were suspiciously low on a LOT of different camera models from this vendor (KM Maxxum 7D w/a lens for $600, etc.).

Itried to tell the forum membersthat something was wrong. But, more than one ordered from them anyway.

Personally,Isuspect that somehow, the vendor account for Astronomics at Amazon got hacked/hijacked by someone else.

The "vendor store" consisted of virtually no products except for cameras at suspiciously low prices. The vendor contact was shown as a yahoo.com based e-mail address.

Then, the entire storefront suddenly changed. All of the cameras went away, and Meade Telescopes and related products showed up in the vendor's store (Astronomics is a dealer for Meade) with the contact e-mail address goiing backto astronomics.com (where it should be).

Then, it changed again (all products removed from their Amazon storefront).

So, it looks likesomeone may have found a way to hack the vendor's account temporarily (speculation on my part, but the evidence seems to fit).

Then (today), I noticed negative feedback started showing up for this vendor (with some indicating that the account was apparently hacked).

Vendor Feedback

My guess is that you've been 'had" (but, hopefully you'll get your money back).

As the old saying goes "if a price looks too good to be true.....

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 9:31 PM   #19

There have been a number of these lately. 20D's in the $700-750 range. A review of the past items that the seller has been selling shows CDs, books, etc, but no cameras. An e-mail to the seller returns a reply in bad English that goes like this:

"This camera is almoust new (USA spec) in perfect working condition and has
no damage or scratches, includes all original
accesories(lens,battery,charger,USB cable,memory card,software),manual in
english and under full Canon warranty. If you are interested in purchasing
this camera email me your full shiping adress and amazon will contact you
with a confirmation email regarding this transaction.
Thank you!"

I've sent notes to the last three sellers that listed 20Ds at these prices and the replies were nearly identical to the above including the bad English and misspellings.

--Louis
ldimegli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:18 PM   #20

JimC wrote:
Quote:
As the old saying goes "if a price looks too good to be true.....

Exactly. So why is it that we keep getting posts on the forum asking if sub $1100 prices for a 20D body look ok? People don't seem to get it ... the only time you will see a true deal is from a vendor such as Dell after you apply a bunch of coupons, specials, etc ... and even then don't expect to pay below $1100. Not right now anyway.

NONE of the resellers offering a NEW 20D body for under $1000 are reputable. NONE. There are many good on-linevendors around ... use them:

* B&H Photo
* Adorama
* www.buydig.com
* Dell
* Amazon (the actual AMAZON store ... not one of the other resellers that pop up when you search the product on Amazon)

There are probably a couple more, but these are the only ones I would trust. But hey, it's your money to lose. Obviously if you want to chase some fantasy that you can scoop a phenominal deal then go ahead. It just means that you can affordto pay$2400 for a 20D body ... 'cause that's what it's going to cost when you buy it once from a scam artist and once from a reseller that will actually ship you a camera.