Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 4, 2005, 12:10 AM   #31

bob_ledyard wrote:
Quote:
Now the bad news??

First thing I noticed in the new 20D was a longfiber and several dirt specks on the focusing platewhen looking through theviewfinder. AND,when I looked atthe first few pictures ---4 OBVIOUS dust specks when the full frame was printed at about 6x9" (I found over 20 pieces of dirt on the CMOS filter on a f32 shot of the sky takento just tocheck for imager dirt).

I don't know if this is typical for a new camera. I was afraid to try cleaning a NEW camera to avoid being blamed for causing the problem if I couldn't clean it. Dell website is not very friendly with regard to customer support/refunds (I couldn't easily find help). Eventually, I called customer service. It seemed the option was to return for refund.

So, back to the search for a dslr! $1100 for a dslr body was my price point and Dell was the only vendor to offer that for the 20D.

Bob

I'm not sure why you need to return it. Just clean the sensor and life will be good ... after all, you're going to have to clean a sensor eventually even if it is perfectly clean when you first get the camera. Go to a camera store and get a Giottos Rocket blower (less than 10 bucks) and follow the procedure in your manual.

Also, I doubt if many Canon cameras come with a a clean enough sensor that a few specks won't show up at f32.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 1:43 PM   #32

Took your advice !

After ALL of the discussions on this and other forums about sensor cleaning (and destruction??), I was hoping to hold off on developing that "skill" for at least more than 10 minutes of ownership! :-)

I started off with about 23 spots. After 10 cleanings - down to about 10. Three are in the same location as from factory, but are only slightly visible at F32 at 100% in PS. I suspect they are 'welded specks"! There are no visible spots at F16 at 100%.

So, the camera is a keeper (canceled the RMA), AND I've overcome the fear of sensor cleaning (at least until I ever have to use a liquid based procedure!) Your advice did cost me though - I just ordered the 70-200 F2.8 IS :-)now that I've a 20D to use it with.

Thanks,

Bob
bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 6:04 PM   #33

bob_ledyard wrote:
Quote:
Took your advice !

After ALL of the discussions on this and other forums about sensor cleaning (and destruction??), I was hoping to hold off on developing that "skill" for at least more than 10 minutes of ownership! :-)

I started off with about 23 spots. After 10 cleanings - down to about 10. Three are in the same location as from factory, but are only slightly visible at F32 at 100% in PS. I suspect they are 'welded specks"! There are no visible spots at F16 at 100%.

So, the camera is a keeper (canceled the RMA), AND I've overcome the fear of sensor cleaning (at least until I ever have to use a liquid based procedure!) Your advice did cost me though - I just ordered the 70-200 F2.8 IS :-)now that I've a 20D to use it with.

Thanks,

Bob
:lol:That's one expensive Rocket Blower that comes with a free 70-200 f2.8L IS :lol:

I also have a couple of specs that only show up at about f16 or higher and won't come off with a blower. I rarely ever use that small an aperature though, and when I do, and can see the spots on a blue sky I just clone them out. If I get enough of them and they start to bother me I'll invest in a Copperhill method kit and clean my sensor that way.

Have fun with your new camera!

Bob
Old Sep 5, 2005, 11:00 AM   #34

If you are still looking to return the camera, Newegg is selling 20d's for 1219 this week. (It would be 1319 but there is a promo.) Since Dell charges tax and Newegg doesn't, the prices should be close.
Its sad that the quality control is so bad.
rvbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:31 PM   #35

Wonder if you could point me to that newegg deal??

Thanks!

Whitney
khriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 3:36 PM   #36

rvbster wrote:
Quote:
Its sad that the quality control is so bad.
A bit of dust on the sensor is a quality control problem? This is like saying a TV manufacturer has a quality control problem becauseyou founda fingerprint on the screen when you took it out of the box :-) By the way, I'm certain that for many getting their new toy that the first specs of dust are introduced when they unpack things and leave the camera on the table with the body cap off for too long before mounting a lens. I'm surprised for some there aren't blobs of drool on both the mirror and sensor.

If you buy a DSLR cleaning the sensor is just a normalpart of the process.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 4:22 PM   #37

BobA wrote "By the way, I'm certain that for many getting their new toy that the first specs of dust are introduced when they unpack things and leave the camera on the table with the body cap off for too long before mounting a lens. I'm surprised for some there aren't blobs of drool on both the mirror and sensor."

:idea:Not me! I had that new lens on in a second with the body aimed down in a dust free room!

:-)BUT, I likely stirred up the dirt listening to 5 frames per second - with that mirror flapping up and down! My other digital is lucky to shoot 5 fpm (that's per minute!)

I'm glad it doesn't use film ! ! ! !

Bob

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:30 PM   #38

Bob A
Can u give me the link to where u got it. I want one too..
thanks
janey
janey is offline   Reply With Quote