Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 8, 2005, 6:37 PM   #1

hello,

i finally upgraded to a Canon dSLR and need to know a good, affordable flash system. the main things i take pictures of are portraits, some landscape, getting into macro, and trying to learn some night photography techniques.i also will be doing some concert shots that will be in some rather weird lighting situations.

i will be doing some sports , which i know i will need to get proper permission to do so indoors and such w/ flash.

i've heard dedicated flash is better, for it meters each situation with a sensor and chooses the best flash/aperture (for the flash) for you. with this in mind i believe this is what i need, and need to know what some of you have found.

my lenses will more than likely stay in the canon brand, no third party unless i have to for the $$$.

this in mind, what could you all recommend. anything and everything will be appreciated. thanks so much in advance.

-Jon Rowe
[email protected]
http://www.magnolia-net.com/~jedmag/photography/
jedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2005, 6:54 PM   #2

You can get a Canon 420EX for $175 from B&H Photo. I use this one with my 20D and find that it works really well. My second choice would be a 580EX ($380), whichcosts quite a bit more than you are willing to spend.

I've also seen quite a few 420EX's for sale on EBay.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 7:52 PM   #3

I have the sigma EF-500 DG super. I know you said you wanted to stay with canon lenses, but you can get this flash for around $180 and it has the features of the Canon 580EX. It works great with my 20D and drebel. I might also recomend a Stroboframe or some other brand of flash bracket, especially for portraits. As far as the indoor sports, you will more than likely have a tough time getting permission to use flash at those events, more for safty for the competitors than anything, but then again it would depend on what type of sports you are talking about too. I use the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 for gymnastics without any flash and also the 50mm f/1.8. Both are good low light lenses and both reasonably priced.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 8:29 PM   #4

sounds great..

the prices sound pretty close, so here's my questions:

features wise, which one is a better buy, the Canon 420EX or the Sigma EF-500 DG super??

also, will the Sigma also go along w/ the AF system in my canon lenses? i could be way off here, but i believe that's how the metering works in these.

thanks so much for the info, i will be definitely purchasing one of these models soon.

-Jon Rowe
Old Aug 8, 2005, 8:39 PM   #5

The Sigma has more range than the Canon 420 and I believe it can do master/slave that the low-end Canon can't. It is compatible with the Canon multi-point AF system.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 9:21 PM   #6

G35guy is correct, it will work as a master/slave, and it is fully ETTL compatable with all canon lenes. Just make sure you get the one designed for canon it will say EF-500 DG Super EO-ETTL the EO is for Canon EOS. If you've got the bucks to spring for the Canon 580EX it is a really nice flash, but the sigma has just about all the same features as the 580EX for the price of the 420EX.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 12:17 AM   #7

thanks everyone. so much. i'll definitely be getting the Sigma soon.

thanks again.

-jon rowe