Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:27 AM   #1

Hi.* I want to get a polarizing filter for my Rebel XT kit lens.* Is that possible given the way the focus thingy is (you can see i'm new to this)?* What size do I need?* Do I get circular or standard?* Any recommendations on a particular one?* Less than 100 bucks please.* Thanks!Eric
radiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2005, 1:13 PM   #2

radiohead wrote:
Quote:
Hi. I want to get a polarizing filter for my Rebel XT kit lens. Is that possible given the way the focus thingy is (you can see i'm new to this)? What size do I need? Do I get circular or standard? Any recommendations on a particular one? Less than 100 bucks please. Thanks!Eric
You need a circular polarizer or else your autofucus will not work. Get a good quality filter, and make sure it's mulitcoated. To look at pretty much every polarizing filter you could think of go to the B&H Photo site:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...;Q=&ci=115

If you have the 18-55mm EF-S lens then you are looking for a 58mm circular. I'd get either the B+W MRC ($94.95) or theHoya HMC ($70.50). The B+W is a bit better constructed (brass versus aluminum ring construction), but if you were on a budget the Hoya would be just fine.

If you plan on stacking filters, make sure you get the slightly more expensive "slim" versions, or else you may get some vignetting at 18mm. The way they make them thinner is to do away with the threads that would be used to attach another filter on top. NOTE: By eliminating the threads it also means you can't attach your Canon lens cap, because it won't have anything to grip on to (you'd need to get a slip on type cap from somewhere). I never stack filters with my circ pol, and I have a 24-70mm lens, so I use the standard (no-thin) variety.

I knowone person that is using a non-thin circ pol on his 16-35 f2.8, and hestates thathe gets zero vignetting using both his 20D and his 1D M2. So, from this, I would think that you should be safe buying anon-thin one for your 18-55 as long as you are not stacking it with another filter.

One other thing, even though it is stated that a circular polarizing filter acts like a neutral density filter as far as color goes ... this is just an approximation. In addition to the polarizing effect, circular polarizing filters do produce a picture that is a bit cooler. For my B+W MRC I find that I have to add approx. 600K to whatever my 20D's auto white balance comes up with to get the white balance back to where it should be.

By the way, to find the size you need, take off your lens cap and look at the front of your lens, it's written right there. The size is also shown on the back of the lens cap.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 1:39 PM   #3

Bob.* You, my friend, are awesome.
radiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:17 AM   #4

I think BobA covered just about everything here. But one thing to keep in mind to get the full effect of the polarizing filter the sun needs to be at a 90 degree angle from your lens. So when it is straight overhead or either to your left or right.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote