Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:17 AM   #1
DMW

Hi all,

I have just bought the Portaflash 3 studio lighting system from Jessops. My questions are this...

1. Which white balance setting should I use (350D)? I have a white background and I use different colour difusers.

2. I want to set up the studio in my conservatory (temporarily), how will the bright ambient light effect the way I shoot? Will the flash lights still be the main light source?

Any other recommendations for my setup? (I hope to do portrait and small group sittings).

Many thanks.
DMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:26 AM   #2

I'll start by saying that I'm no expert when it comes to studio lighting, but I would recomend getting a good hand held light meter. Make sure you get one with a PC plug that you can connect to your lights. Take some readings with and with out the lights. I'm guessing that if you have a lot of ambient light entering the room, you may only need to use your studio lights for fill light. But I would also recomend that you set up your studio somewhere with no outside light coming in so you have complete control and do not have to deal with what mother nature throws at you on a day to day basis.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:40 AM   #3

Not familiar with those lights, but most strobe systems put out a 5500K light, so you should set your white balance for Flash (or Daylight). If they are constant lighting (hot lights), the light color they produce is closer to 3200K, or the cloudy WB setting.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:25 AM   #4

Use daylingt and auto setting for WB, check the results, use wnatever mode produces better results.

As long as you use the default X-synchro speed of your camera (genererally >1/60, the ambient light willl not affect your flash light as main source. Mixing abient light, sunlight or daylight with flash light reguires little more experience of how to shoot with slow-synchro speed (<1/30), in some cases you may need a flash meter with the flash analysis function (for slow-synchro).

:|

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 5:08 AM   #5
DMW

Thank you for your replies.

I guess I will have to set it up and try it. I shoot at the max sync speed of 1/200.

I was shooting with the WB on daylight but when I used a blue filter on one of my slave lights to light the background my subjects skin colour seemed to have a blue tint.

This is why I love digital, I can experiment as much as I like at no cost. :-)

DMW is offline   Reply With Quote