Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 15, 2005, 2:43 AM   #1

I'm new to DSLR. Planing to buy 350D soon. How do I do Manual Focusing with 350D kit lens. I know the ring is for zooming and I'm expecting a ring from focusing too. Please let me know how to do MF?

Thanks
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2005, 4:07 AM   #2

there is a switch on the lens where you can choose between AF and MF. Just flip the switch over to MF and focus manually with the outer ring on the lens.
Benzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 6:54 AM   #3

I saw the switch to set MF and AF.

Did you mean the thin ring at the tip of the lens for MF? I didn't notice that. But I saw the picture just now. Did realse that it was for MF..

How effective is MF in 350D lens kit. Will I be able to focus it to a sharp point easily? How is the accuracy? Will I be able to see clearly the focus part as sharp and others as Blur?
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 9:04 AM   #4

Manual focus with the kit lens is not easy. The ring is barely there, the screen is really too small to judge whether you've actually hit the optimum focus point, the focus travel of the lens from infinity to close focus is very short so it's easy to "just"miss and ruin a photo and with no distance markers on the barrell you have no idea what the lens is set to.

Other than that, it's fairly easy to manuallyfocus......:?

Just leave it to autofocus and it will do just fine. If you reallywant to manually focus you need to do it with lenses that give you a fighting chance, like a fast, non-zoom (prime)lens.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 11:13 AM   #5

I'm with Greg on that one... It's much easier to have it in AF! It's really difficult to see if the focus is right. and the focus ring is no good so if you move it just a bit your pic will be out of focus... If you want to use MF-> get a other lens! :roll: but other than that... the kit lens is a pretty good lens for what you pay for it! but build quality on them seems to vary a bit... on my lens the focus ring is pretty loose and I get no feel on it... but the one my brother got feels much better... it's "like a box of chocolate, you never know what you get"! :blah:
Benzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 2:45 PM   #6

I don't know about the Rebel XT, but manual focus with the Digital Rebel is very difficult, unless you're dealing with a close subject that has a lot of contrast or an easily identified texture. I have an old Canon AE-1 that has a split circle in the viewfinder. When the subject lines up in the two halves of the circle, it's focused. I sure do miss that! Do any Digital SLRs have a visual aid like that?
tmilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 5:51 AM   #7

Just bought a Canon EOS 350D and also find Manual focusing to be a real issue. I upgraded my Canon from a Konica Minolta Dimage A2 and cant help but feel there are many things missing from the Canon compared to the Dimage A2. The Dimage A2 had excellent manual focus control which via the viewfinder and TFT screen you could easily adjust focus with the aid of an on screen distance meter which went from 0.5 meters upto infinity. One reason why I bought the Canon was to undertake some astrophotography - but without any attribute information on the Canon camera there is nothing to inform you visually (ie through the viewfinder or on the TFT) when the focus is set to infinity. Trying to focus in pitch black conditions with the camera mounted on a tripod is not as easy as it appears - with the Dimage you could easily tell by the onscreen infinity icon. Perhaps I am expecting too much out of my new Canon camera - but I cant help comparing the two. The reason why I upgraded was because the Dimage was not capable of swapping lenses and its CCD sensor is not capable of taking deep space photographs. An associate of mine could not help but boast about how far superior his Canon EOS 300D was against my inferior Konica Dimage A2 camera - but having on hands experience of both cameras I feel that Canon could learn alot from Konica. Clearly the Konica Dimage A2 had many neat features not found on Canons new 350D camera and its left me feel slightly dissapointed. Clearly Canon is no virgin to the camera scene!

On a seperate note I am finding problems with AF on the Canon 350D. I went out on the weekend to Nash Point (South Wales Heritage Coast) and took various photos in brilliant lighting conditions (ie bright sunny day). The camera was set to AF in P mode and quality was set to RAW. After carefully composing some shots - the AF focused on the lighthouse perfectly in the viewfinder - I took the shot and when I downloaded them later at night the image of the lighthouse was blurred! Several shots have followed this pattern. I will post some examples of the problems I have encountered with EXIF information. So if anyone has some suggestions why these shots became blurred please reply.

Many Thanks

Nathan
nthomas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 9:17 AM   #8

nthomas4 wrote:
Quote:
On a seperate note I am finding problems with AF on the Canon 350D. I went out on the weekend to Nash Point (South Wales Heritage Coast) and took various photos in brilliant lighting conditions (ie bright sunny day). The camera was set to AF in P mode and quality was set to RAW. After carefully composing some shots - the AF focused on the lighthouse perfectly in the viewfinder - I took the shot and when I downloaded them later at night the image of the lighthouse was blurred! Several shots have followed this pattern. I will post some examples of the problems I have encountered with EXIF information. So if anyone has some suggestions why these shots became blurred please reply.

Many Thanks

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

Posting the EXIF would be really helpful. What shutterspeed were the pictures taken at, and with what lens? Did you select only the center AF point (recommended) or are you letting the camera select the AF point (not recommended).

Also, the reason that some Canon DSLR's are not suited for astrophotography is that they have an IR cut-out filter. One model, the Canon 20a, is a special version with the IR cut-out filter removed. The 20a also has a different mirror that allows live focusing on the LCD screen.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 4:15 PM   #9

The replacement focusing aid on auto-focus cameras is the focus indicator light. And this works fairly well. Another tool that you can use is the Angle Finder C -- which magnifies the image further. The best results that I've obtained, speaking as a deep pixel peeper using a tripod andfixed subject to study focus accuracy and lens quality, is with the combination of all that -- the angle finder, manual focusing, and using the focus light indicator.

Auto-focusing generally works to spec, but that spec doesn't guarantee you perfect focus. It guarantees the focus target to be "within DOF". In short, it's roughly right, and trades off accuracy with speed for some extent. You can improve on this by using your eyes together with the focus indicator and manually focusing carefully using a tripod, etc. You can improve this even further by not pixel peeping and using higher ISO to give you more DOF / less camera shake.

Manual focusing / focus tuning is also a bit easier with lenses that allow full time manual focus override. I guess that auto-focus might also work better in some cases with those lenses due to their superior motors.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote