Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 15, 2005, 5:50 PM   #1

I'm about to buy my first D-SLR and have pretty much settled on the Canon 350. What swung me was this deal:
http://www.internetdirect.co.uk/phot..._eos-350d_.htm

The 350, vertical handgrip, 18-55 EF-S and 55-200 EF-S lenses.

Price is abou £720 delivered. 350 with the usual single lens is about £560.

Now, I gather these 'kit' lenses aren't the greatest but this seems a reasonable deal to me - especially since the vertical grip is over £100 on it's own.

What do you think? Or is it worth shelling out a bit more for a better len (or two). Cost is a factor here.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:56 PM   #2

I can't help you with a recommendation for the reseller, but it would be helpful if there was a site such as reselleratings.com that you could use to check them out. Unfortunately the site you posted and other UK dealers such as Jessops aren't listed at reselleratings.

Jessops has what looks to be the same kit for 844.99 pounds delivered. The site you posted has it for 714 pounds delivered. This seems like a pretty big difference in price, which would make me a bit suspicious of internetdirect. I'd really check them out before making a purchase.

By the way, do you know if it's a Canon or Sigma 55-200? The Canon 55-200 f4.5-5.6 USM does not have a very good rating on www.Photozone.de. It's listed as the third worst lens out of 22 in the short telezoom category. The Canon MTF chartsalso indicate that it's not a fantastic lens. I couldn't find the Sigma at Photozone, but wouldn't expect too much from it since it's only a $159 US lens.

You might be much more pleased with getting the 350D with a Tamron 28-75 (579.99 for the body in black and 349.99 for the lens). Unfortunately this might be a bit expensive for you at 929.98 pounds (Jessops pricing), but it would be a fantastic combination if you could do without a longer zoom until you could afford a better one.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:48 AM   #3

Hi Bob,
I've used this company a couple of times before and they' ve been very good. Jessops are expensive, IMO.

They're just the standard Canon EF-S kit lenses and I know they're not great. To be honest I keep switching back between going for the Canon or the Nikon D70s which comes with a much better kit lens. I'm still undecided and trying to weigh up the different options.

Thanks
Rob
Old Aug 16, 2005, 4:57 AM   #4
Super Moderator

BobA wrote:
Quote:
You might be much more pleased with getting the 350D with a Tamron 28-75 (579.99 for the body in black and 349.99 for the lens). Unfortunately this might be a bit expensive for you at 929.98 pounds (Jessops pricing), but it would be a fantastic combination if you could do without a longer zoom until you could afford a better one.

Bob
I'm afraid I can't agree with Bob on this one. The Tamron is by all accounts an excellent lens, but 28mm on 1.6 crop is 48mm equivalent. That's not wide at all and IMO any 28-XX lens is NOT a good walkaround for a 1.6 crop camera - of course it very much depends on the kind of photographs you take, but for the majority of users it would be a poor choice.

Other options I would seriously consider:
Sigma 18-125
Sigma 18-200

And if you can afford it:
Canon EF-S 17-85

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=37

I've found http://www.warehouseexpress.com to be pretty good.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:08 PM   #5

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
BobA wrote:
Quote:

Bob
I'm afraid I can't agree with Bob on this one. The Tamron is by all accounts an excellent lens, but 28mm on 1.6 crop is 48mm equivalent. That's not wide at all and IMO any 28-XX lens is NOT a good walkaround for a 1.6 crop camera - of course it very much depends on the kind of photographs you take, but for the majority of users it would be a poor choice.

Other options I would seriously consider:
Sigma 18-125
Sigma 18-200

And if you can afford it:
Canon EF-S 17-85

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=37

I've found http://www.warehouseexpress.com to be pretty good.
For my first 35mm SLR (Oly OM-1) I used only a 50mm lens for the first couple of years that I had the camera. So, as you said, it sort of depends on what you want to do. With my 20D I use my 24-70 f2.8 90% of the time, and then my 70-200 f4, and have never really wanted anything wider than 24mm. With my old OM-1 MD I had a 24mm and 75-150 mm that rarely got used.

For me ... and only me I would start with the one lens that would get the most use, and make sure it was the highest quality I could afford. By the way, I think the 17-85 EF-S that you suggested is a great choice, and could be a great lens to start a system with. I keep forgetting about this lensbecause it's an EF-S, and since I also use a Canon35mm SLR that I share lenses with I'm not really interested in the line.

One thing that is for certain. The Canon EOS system has a ton of lenses to choose from, which is one of it's greatest strengths.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 3:07 PM   #6

Guys, thanks for your help.