Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:13 AM   #1

Give me your strong opionions about these two flashes for my XT. Which is a better flash Sigma EF=500 DG Super Flash or the Canon Speedlite 420 EX.**
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:30 AM   #2
NHL

If you want a 'dumb down' easy to use simple flash then the 420EX is IT!

However if you want more power or control then it's a no brainer - The Sigma EF-500DG Super has everything else (for about the same price):
1. Master and Slave capability (420EX is slave only)
2. Guide Number of 50 (m) against only 42 for the 420EX
3. Flash exposure compensation (useful when combined with camera own exposure compensation)
4. Comprehensive rear LCD panel with flash range (LED indicators only with 420EX)
5. High speed stroboscopic mode
6. Pull-out diffuser panel as on the 550/580EX
7. Selectable rear-curtain sync
8. Can synchronize wirelessly with any studio strobes (Try that with any EX) :-)
9. ... and more
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:15 AM   #3

I just ordered the 500 Super DG myself (brand new, $189 shipped from ebay)and a maha charger and 2500 mAh batteries. If there's one thing I remember from my old nikon flashes is that they eat battery power like crazy, although back then I think batteries only had 800 or 1000 mAh in them. Anyway, you'll be very happy with either flash, it all depends whether or not you need the additional range and the extra options the Sigma will give you.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:00 PM   #4

I mainly want to use the flash indoors and some outdoors very little. What should be the right one.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:35 PM   #5

Well, it's like how NHL pointed it out. If you see yourself taking advantage of the Sigma's advantages over the 420ex, then you should get the sigma!

I've taken a glance at looking at some of the flash technical stuff and I say it's a lot to know about. It might be even trickier than learning about the SLR in the first place... Anyway, I'm not much of a flash lover, but if it was me, all I'd really care for are 1) power, 2) bounce flash, 3) (Maybe) weight

That other stuff that NHL mentioned... diffuser... stroboscopic... I know nothing about...
Do you know that stuff? If not, will you read up on them and use the features? If not, then maybe you're better off just sticking with the 420.

It's like if you just stuck with the automatic modes on the XT. Why bother paying that much for a dSLR when you're using it like a P&S?
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:47 PM   #6

I own a Canon EX420 and I wanted to find an economical setup to give me a dual flash capability. Here is a photo of a rather powerful slave flash that I found on E-Bay. Total cost, including shipping was $55 (US).

Using my 20D I shoot with my right hand using the 420 mounted on the camera and the slave held high in my left hand. I have been able to get good flash photos out to 35 feet by increasing the ISO a bit.

Perhaps this might work well for others.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:40 PM   #7
NHL

BoYFrMSpC wrote:
Quote:
That other stuff that NHL mentioned... diffuser... stroboscopic... I know nothing about...
The diffuser is for lens larger than 24mm otherwise the wider lens would picture a circle of flash beam too narrow to cover it's wider FOV... It's also kind of useful for macro when the flash is too harsh at close distance

The strobocope effect is like a disco light function where one can freeze a ball bouncing through its trajectory or a water drop fallling - It's more popular use in this setting is for multi-units wireless flash setup the stroboscopic effect can double as a 'modeling light' function which allows the photographer to observe the shadow effect of the flash(es) before actually taking a shot by pressing the camera *button...

There's no manual mode for the 420EX - might as well because there's no easy way to compute beside dividing the GN/aperture or using a flashmeter. In contrast with the Sigma its graphical scale on the rear LCD can indicate quickly at a glance what to set the camera to (f-stop vs distances)!

Think about it this way: The 420EX = simple/easy (basically On/Off)
The EF-500DG Super however is like a 550EX in functionality at the 420EX price!
-> You can be as simple or as sophisticated as you want to be: :idea: http://eosseries.ifrance.com/eosseri...ork_ssfil.html
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:34 AM   #8

The 420EX is a good, easy to use flash. I bought mine quite a while ago to use with my Elan II, but if were making a purchase today I would seriously consider the Sigma, since you definitely get a lot more flash for the money.

Fortunately the 420EX works well for what I need to do though, and so far i haven't needed the additional features or power. If I keep reading NHL's posts though I just know I'm gonna have to upgrade and try some fancier set-ups :lol:

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:40 AM   #9
NHL

BobA wrote:
Quote:
... If I keep reading NHL's posts though I just know I'm gonna have to upgrade and try some fancier set-ups :lol:
... and where the crux of the whole issue is - Photography is all about lighting, but two or three 550/580EX can be more expensive than the camera! The Sigma's enable that possibility at a considerable saving (i.e. the more heads you buy the more $ you keep!) :-)

BTW for that example set-up you'll need 4 units with the Master flash on the camera shut-off functioning as an ST-E2 controller only (no flash from the camera) in which the photographer is freed to move about...

Same flash outdoor with the diffuser on:

Old Aug 17, 2005, 6:23 PM   #10

even if you don't think you will need the extra features right now, who knows what you will want to try tomorrow. And don't let all the extra features scare you away either, the sigma is still a pretty simple flash to use.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote