Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:34 AM   #1

I'm planning to take photographs of wedding (indoor). How does the 18-55mm canon lens kit perform with 350D? Can I take excellent portraits with this lens kit or should I go for some other lens? Does the lens kit perform well in low light (indoor light) situations?

How is 50mm, 1.8 canon lens?
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:45 AM   #2

I'm assuming your talking about taking pictures just as a guest and not as the official photographer (if you are the official photographer I think you're in a lot of trouble )

Now, are you talking about taking pictures in a church or at the reception hall? If it's a reception hall - you really need to have a flash gun - even a high speed lens will not likely produce good results - plus you run into DOF issues using a lens at say 1.8 when you may have multiple people in a shot.

If it's a church then what lens you need will be driven by where you can take pictures from and again whether or not flash is allowed. Most places will only allow the actual photographer to use a flash in the church - and sometimes they are not allowed. In either case, the kit lens would likely not be fast enough for non flash work. And depending on the wedding location it probably would not have enough reach.

So, there are a lot of variables here - where do you want to take the pictures? And in what capacity? And how much money do you have to spend on upgraded equipment?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:03 AM   #3

Of course... Not as an official photgrapher :-)....

And I don't want to use flash. Will I be able to get good light with 350D kit + higher ISO?

How is the DOF for 18-55 kit? Will I be able to get people in focus and backgroud as dark/blur?

I would be glad to see some wedding/reception album taken in 18-55mm kit.... if someone can share :sad:.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Will I be able to get good light with 350D kit + higher ISO?
No. You need a faster lens than the kit lens. The 50mm 1.8 is a nice lens but will be too long for any shots that you cannot manually zoom (using your feet that is). I was taking a picture of a neighbor boy hitting a baseball and I was at least 6 feet away and he was filling the frame from top to bottom. I did get some nice shots, dusk with no flash in the sports mode. To get an idea set your kit lens at 50mm and frame some pics. Shooting will be different with the aperature difference of course but you'll see what I mean about the 50mm and the manual zoom.

However with the kit lens you will need flash indoors and if you use a flash the bride's white dress (at least I hope it is white:-) ) will be washed out. You might be able to use a polarizing filter to reduce the glare from the dress but that will entail using a flash to get thru the polarizing effect of the filter. Check out the Wedding Photography forum over at http://www.fredmiranda.com.

Practice in your house with low ambient lighting and you will see the effects of low light on the kit lens. Shoot in RAW with Auto White Balance. Download RawShooter Essentials to play with the RAW files. The manual for the program is excellent.

overclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 8:52 PM   #5

Glass-

Because of the speed of the kit lens, really good photos with the kit lens are problematic. Why not use the on camera flash with a handheld slave flash (held high in your left hand, assuming that you are right handed). It is a fairly simple setup and it will produce good results.

A slave flash will cost from $29 to $49 depending in the output.

Here is a sample photo showing what can be done with a simple 2 flash setup.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:19 PM   #6

I recommend staying away from ISO 1600 on the XT- you'll immediately notice the noise level shooting through the roof. I tried taking pictures with the kit lens in a church with no flash... Believe me... not fun at all. even at f/3.5, it's hard to pull off with a decent shot (Even with ISO 1600), and that's only if youare at 18mm.

I think you should look for a lens with AT LEAST an aperture of 2.8 or greater if you consider no-flash photography.

BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 5:31 AM   #7

Thanks friends for all the informations. Hope the kit will perform far
better than an y point and shoot cameras..? Isn't it?
Old Aug 18, 2005, 5:44 AM   #8
DMW

I dont know if this will help but I took the picture below with the following setup...

Kit lens at 45mm, F5.6, 1/30, ISO 800, No flash.

Light lighting was not very good, a few strip lights and no daylight.

Attached Images

DMW is offline   Reply With Quote