Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 16, 2005, 1:12 PM   #1

Knowing someone working at Canon Europe, he told me to wait for new Canon DSLR.
Canon will abandon the 1.6x frame DSLR for bigger full frame for all the DSLR line in a couple of years.
Canon will announce Canon 5D full frame 13Mpix CMos DSLR with 20D features at 3500 euros (4000 dollars) at the end of August 2005, on market by October.
After that, a replacement for Canon 1D Mark II, probably called 3D will be anounced.
Then we may expect a Canon 2D and 6D. All of them will be full frame.

This also means not to invest in Sigma or Tamron better than Canon EF-S type lenses since full format 24x36 will become the standard very soon again.
janlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2005, 3:29 PM   #2

I think canon will keep the crop factor for teleshooters out there who buy the most expensive canon glass.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 3:34 PM   #3
NHL

The rumour started here:
http://www2.photim.com/info/Sommaire.php
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 4:14 PM   #4
Super Moderator

eh.. rumor is all it is... canon will not abandon the 1.6x crop factor and the ef-s series of lenses... if they abandon anything, they will abandon the 1.3x crop factor cameras.. then there will be 4 lines.. the rebel xt and its decendants, 20d and its decendants, 5d/3d series, and 1ds mk whatever series.. and i am guessing they will also add an even more value oriented line below the rebel xt..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 4:50 PM   #5
NHL

I don't know...

It could be a smart move:
1. Sony is getting in bed with Minolta for dSLRs, and they are already sourcing the APS-c sensors for Nikon
2. Same story with Panasonic and Olympus on the 4/3 sensor
3. Kind of hard to compete with theses two giants in consumer electronics especially on sensor cost once this market becomes mainstream

Fortifying the 'High-end' with a full-frame sensor with the more advanced amateurs and Pros (with a smaller volume) - and too small for the big guys to get in may be the way to go. This will also provide the 'glow' to sell through for their other cameras....
Old Aug 16, 2005, 5:06 PM   #6

Canon has investeda fortune in camera's like the 20D and Rebel XT and the companionEF-S lenses.They have been super sellers for them. Why on earth would they abandon an incredibly successful technology which affords them the ability to make a smaller more compact camera with resolution and quality one could only dream about in the past.

And why would they keep introducing more ef-s lenses if they are on there way out.

I think the 1.6 crop camera's are here to stay. That doesn't mean they won't produce full frame camera's butif they do, itwill be in "addition" to the 1.6 camera's.

Canon isbeating everyone elses brains out with these products. Compactness is the new watchword in the industry and that means the 1.6 camera's ain't goin away anytime soon.

IMHO

Money steers everything.

tony M
tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 5:15 PM   #7
NHL

tmumolo wrote:
Quote:
They have been super sellers for them. Why on earth would they abandon an incredibly successful technology which affords them the ability to make a smaller more compact camera with resolution and quality one could only dream about in the past.
I agree with you entirely; However what we 'think' are super sellers are actually a drop in their bucket - Check the Canon financial sheet: lenses and SLR/dSLR in general are small in term of overall digital camera sales (vs the Point & Shoots). Sony was the market leader in digital cameras even without a single dSLR (which is no different with Kodak going in and out of the number 2/3 spots)

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aoFyNYAhB1lI
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:52 PM   #8
Super Moderator

basically they will try to blanket the market with camera's to cover every potential market.. thats why i believe they will have 5 seperate lines of camera's.. who else is doing this??
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:28 AM   #9

janlef wrote:
Quote:
Knowing someone working at Canon Europe, he told me to wait for new Canon DSLR.
Canon will abandon the 1.6x frame DSLR for bigger full frame for all the DSLR line in a couple of years.
Canon will announce Canon 5D full frame 13Mpix CMos DSLR with 20D features at 3500 euros (4000 dollars) at the end of August 2005, on market by October.
After that, a replacement for Canon 1D Mark II, probably called 3D will be anounced.
Then we may expect a Canon 2D and 6D. All of them will be full frame.

This also means not to invest in Sigma or Tamron better than Canon EF-S type lenses since full format 24x36 will become the standard very soon again.
So ... did you want to pay $4000 for a DSLR, or wait 2+ years to get a 13MP camera for $1300? If you want an excellent DSLR now, and you don't want to spend more than $1500, then why would anyone wait to buy a 20D. Just do it, then in a few years get a full frame DSLR if it's what you want. If you want the next generation of 20D, then you might have to wait until Christmas time or early in 2006. And, if you don't want to buy EF-S lenses, then don't... with Canon at least you have a choice.

The way I understand it is that the 13MP camera is not a replacement for the 20D, but fills a gap where Canon currently doesn't compete well with Nikon ... which is to have a low priced pro/semi pro camera that can take photos that will be acceptable by publishers that need greater than 12 MP for a two page spread.Currently anyone shooting with Canon can't do this unless they shell out mega-bucks on a 16MP camera.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 1:52 PM   #10

Some of you don't think that Canon would abandon the EF-S line. I think they will eventially...because they haven't produced too many EF-s lenses and I think that the incompatabiliy is a problem with the EF-s lens...why keep producing new lenes that film SLR and ful frame DSLR owners will not be able to use. But with a normal EF lens there is a greater market. There will always be a greater market for the EF line. Not the EF-S line. I feel the reason 1,300 dollar fulframe DSLR hasn't come out because it is either too expensive...or they know people will shell out 4,000 on a FF Dslr...I believe that who ever comes out with a 1,300 FF DSLR either Canon or Nikon they will it will be popular! I hope it is canon.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote