Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 18, 2005, 5:39 PM   #1

Their's a lot of talk on various boards about a future upgrade of the Canon 20d to a possible full frame 12 or 13 MP model. I was interested if anyone know's the potential difference in resolution between a 8Mp 1.6 aspect camera vs a 12 or 13 MP full frame camera? Would it not take more MP's on a FF camera to equal the same reaoultion on the smaller sensor. So I guess my real question is what would be the potential gain in quality of the image. Thanks
mojo004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2005, 6:19 PM   #2
Super Moderator

its not a replacement for the 20d.. its an entirely seperate line that will fit inbetween the 20d and the 1dsmkII.. to fill the sensor on a full frame camera, they simply use larger photosites..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 9:35 PM   #3

...meaning less noise in places like shadow detail. A 35mm negative sized digital sensor is the new medium format, and medium format backs are the new large format as far as I am concerned.

I see a full frame digital SLR in my future. Not this year...still to expensive, but can you remember back to 2001, when the 3 megapixel, 1.6 crop D30 cost $3,000? At this point I'm in no hurry to ditch either my 10D, Digital Rebel, or to buy any reduced frame coverage (digital only) lenses. I can definitely see myself in a full frame digital SLR in the next 5 years- at that point my 17-40L will be plenty wide. For now it's good enough, too.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 12:17 PM   #4

The physical resolution between an 8MP and 12 or 13MP sensor is about 20%. The 12 or 13 would have 20% more resolution than the 8...a decent jump. Although, like stated there would definately be less noise with a FF sensor.
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 12:42 PM   #5

I can't wait until a fulframe DSLR comes out in the 20D range. I hope Canon monitors these forums to see what people would like...I would like.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 1:31 PM   #6
Super Moderator

not going to happen.. going to have to save up for the 5d and its replacement bud..

i for one don't mind my crop factor.. it makes my 80-400 go to 640mm.. WOW..

sure it'd be nice to have 2 bodies.. my 20d with my tele attached.. and a FF 5d with a 17-40 or something for landscapes.. but i could easily survive with a 10-22 on a 1.6x factor camera..
Old Aug 20, 2005, 1:15 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Yeah - photography is actually 2 separate hobbies - one is about photos and one about equipment.

As we're currently in the middle of the digital revolution there's much food for the equipment hobby at the moment.

My take is that my 20D is already as good as 35mm film was under most conditions. So the 1.6 crop has plenty of life left in it yet. If the Canon successors to the 20D can be as good as the D2X is on a 1.5 crop then it'll be all the camera I'll ever need, and I wouldn't bet that Canon can't match the D2X for picture quality on the 1.6 crop. I really don't want the behemoth 1D body no matter how good the pictures.

Of course that's not to say I don't want a 5D but I don't think I'll be upgrading for some time, I'm going to skip the next gen 20D too and go for the upgrade cycle after that which is probably about 24 months from now. And no matter how many better cameras come out between now and then the pictures I get from my 20D aren't going to get any worse; who knows if I keep working at hobby #1 it they might even get better. :-)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 2:34 AM   #8
Super Moderator

well said my friend..