Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 23, 2005, 7:16 PM   #1

hi all,

okay, so I have this weird problem. well weird to me since this is my first dSLR. Let's say I'm taking a picture of a perfectly upright, rectangular, straight building. If i am looking through the viewfinder, it looks as if everything isleaning to the right, not by much, but enough to notice and enough to make the picture look tilted.

in order to compensate, i have to angle the camera so it produces a 'straight' picture. does this make sense? it just recently started doing this so i'm not really sure of the cause. when i press the shutter release, the picture will come out crooked unless i compensate for it by tilting my camera in the opposite direction so the picture can look straight.

any ideas as to what this could be? here's an example, with me standing perfectly level, what i see through the viewfinder. if i look with my naked eye, everything is straight and the horizon is level as well. but once i release the shutter, this is what is produced.

lemme know.
barnesquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2005, 7:34 PM   #2
Super Moderator

so the viewfinder image matches the image produced by the camera?

which are both off from the naked eye to the same degree?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2005, 8:03 PM   #3

Have you tried using a tripod? I have a tendency to move the whole camera when pressing the shutter ("trigger flinch") when hand holding my 20D. You might have the same problem. When shooting at long zoom ranges, I get best results using a tripod and the timer to eliminate camera shake and tilting the camera.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2005, 8:08 PM   #4

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:

exactly. i thought it was my own error, not standing on flat ground, etc, but i took so many shots i KNOW i'm holding the camera level, but this image is what is produced, and also what shows in the viewfinder, both of which are slightly off when looked at with the naked eye.
barnesquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 12:02 AM   #5

barnesquared wrote:
Quote:
Hards80 wrote:
Quote:

exactly. i thought it was my own error, not standing on flat ground, etc, but i took so many shots i KNOW i'm holding the camera level, but this image is what is produced, and also what shows in the viewfinder, both of which are slightly off when looked at with the naked eye.

I'm a bit confused, so probably have missed your point. If the final image matches what you see in the viewfinder, what is the problem? The only way I would KNOW that a camera is level would be to use a tripod equipped with a level such as this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

or use a tripod using a head like this,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I apologise in advance if I misunderstood your posts

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 12:26 AM   #6
Super Moderator

yea.. if the image in the vf matches your images... i think there may be some user-error involved...

try bob's idea..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote