Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 25, 2005, 6:49 PM   #1

I am a new with night shooting. I would like to know what is a good night ISO¬* for night photos for, city, people and pets.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2005, 8:28 PM   #2

I don't think there's a rule to set you're ISO to whatever value for nighttime. I would think that it would be the lowest ISO you can possibly do without causing a blurry picture. Rememeber the lower the ISO the finer the picture.

However, I suggest you avoid ISO 1600 unless it feels like there's-a-gun-pointed-at-your-head type of scenario. You may not see it on the LCD, but you will definitely see the noise on the monitor and it is not pretty.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 8:38 PM   #3

It depends, as it always does I'm going to assume you plan on not using flash and just depend on what little ambient light will be around.

For cityscapes where everything is still and you can have a long exposure, I would use a tripod and set the camera to ISO 100 and a semi-high fstop, like f/11 and use a long exposure of a couple seconds or more.

If you mean just city shots, like a friend in front of a building at nite with a small amount of ambient light and no tripod, you can go to ISO 400 or 800 and not lose too much quality and still keep a manageable shutter speed if you open the aperature to f/4 or below.

Things like pets and stuff that'll be moving you're gonna have to still keep a relatively quick shutter speed and maybe even bump the ISO to 1600 and have as large an aperature as you can, definitely f/4 or lower if possible.

As always, you're going to have to play with it and takes lots of shots and just see what works for your situation.

One thing you may want to do is set the camera to the auto night mode and see what settings it selects and how those shots come out...then, you have a base to start experimenting from.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:00 PM   #4

G35Guy wrote:
Quote:
One thing you may want to do is set the camera to the auto night mode and see what settings it selects and how those shots come out...then, you have a base to start experimenting from.
There is a Canon DSLR with auto night mode?
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:02 PM   #5

the 350d and 300d both have basic auto settings in their dials so they can act just like a p&s ... a very expensive p & s...
Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:18 PM   #6

BoYFrMSpC wrote:
Quote:
the 350d and 300d both have basic auto settings in their dials so they can act just like a p&s ... a very expensive p & s...

They sure do, but I don't believe that any of the modes are called "auto night mode".

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:50 PM   #7

well, i don't think it says "auto"... because all the basic modes are auto.. but there is a nightshooting mode.... *looks at his 350d... it's a cute little picture of a person with a star in a corner...

oh... it might be night portrait... the flash pops up in that mode so i guess it is portraits.

BAH! it's a dslr... you're not suppose to be using those, anyway!!
Old Aug 26, 2005, 6:39 AM   #8

On the XT there is. I haven't used it, I do almost everything on M, but here's the description from Steve's review.

Night Scene - Up to 2-second long shutter speed plus fill flash

Now, that'scertainly notgoing to get you everything you want in night photgraphy, but it's a start.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:27 AM   #9

Check out this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=90
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:51 AM   #10

Here's a photo taken with a 20D @ 1600 ISO, Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 lens, handheld. I'm happy with that sort of capability.

HiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote