Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 26, 2005, 5:12 AM   #1

I am ready to move into the dSLR world, and my choices are a LOT I know butI narrowed down to either the 300d or the 350d. the 20d was next on the list, but its way to expensive

so my questions, is there a LOT of diference between the 300d and the 350d? image quality wise, wouldI really see a diference?

I plan to use the hacked firmware on the 300d if i get this one, but don-t know if this helps imagewise.

any advise will be greatly apreciated.

Shanti Castillo G.

P.S. didnt know whether to post here or the what camera to buy forum, so i did both :?
Shanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2005, 8:49 AM   #2

Shanti wrote:
Quote:
I am ready to move into the dSLR world, and my choices are a LOT I know butI narrowed down to either the 300d or the 350d. the 20d was next on the list, but its way to expensive

so my questions, is there a LOT of diference between the 300d and the 350d? image quality wise, wouldI really see a diference?

I plan to use the hacked firmware on the 300d if i get this one, but don-t know if this helps imagewise.

any advise will be greatly apreciated.

Shanti Castillo G.

P.S. didnt know whether to post here or the what camera to buy forum, so i did both

As a owner of the Digital Rebel, and not the XT I can say, get the newer, better camera. Why? 8MP is more than enough for a lifetime of photos. The XT's speed IS trully awe inspiring, and it's low noise even at ISO 1600 is also inspiring. Well, let me put it this way... goto the review section here at Steves, and view the photos for yourself.

Also, the kit lens is adiquate but not spectacular by anymeans. It's the best 100.00 wide angle 18-55mm lens you're gonna find. If you've got lenses already or want to buy something better there are other folks better situated to that here than I. I'm still learning about lenses.

=o)

Hope my opinion helped!

-tlmiller10

EDIT - And How do I recommend the XT without owning it? I just bought one for my yearbook office at the college I attend. I am the assistant yearbook editor, and wejust received the Rebel XT, body only (already had canon lenses) for 744.00 shipped from Buydig.com. Excellent service... arrived on time.

THE SPEED ..... ahhhh... It's killing me! My "REBEL" is SOOoo slow compared to it! =o\

Oh well... I'm getting a 20D in the future.

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:31 AM   #3

As an owner of the XT, I definitely recommend this model over the original. Using a hack firmware will not give you the physical advantages of the later models. As was mentioned before, the speed is quite different. Startup time for the XT is 0.2 seconds compared to the 2 seconds on the 300d.

One of the reasons I decended into the realm of slrs was because they're suppose to be rediculously faster than regular P & S.

I also have the kit lens. It's pretty decent, but if you can afford it, you'll probably want to go for a better general lens (either greater aperture or just overall better).

Welcome to a rather expensive hobby :blah:
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:12 PM   #4

As an owner of a 300D and a 20D, I started pushing the 300D replacement months before it was officially announced, based on rumours and guess in the areas of performance improvement, which were based on experience and guesses...

You can probably find some of that by browsing my previous posts.

In short, get the new camera. Over time, I think you'd regret getting the 300D when the 350D was an option. The 300D was a great camera in its time, but the 350D is its superior replacement.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 9:25 AM   #5

I agree with Madwand, I have a 300D and now a 20D. The 300D was great in its day and is still a useful camera. But from what I read about the XT you are better off with it than the 300D. The XT has similar specs to the 20D and in my opinion there is a world of difference between the two.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 4:53 PM   #6

I upgraded to the 350d/rebel XT a few months ago.Would not go back to rebel, slow start up times,very limited buffer cannot take very many continous shots. Without going into all the details and more advanced functionsits a far superior camera. Another point not often mentioned is thebattery and chargerare so small that they can easily fit into your kit bag. ISO is much better as well. Happy customer
dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 5:48 PM   #7
Super Moderator

get the XT, the speed alone is worth the upgrade.. not to mention the resolution and noise handling..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:03 PM   #8

I'm still using a 300d, but I think its days are numbered. I love it to bits, but I've missed so many shots for it to power up
nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:55 AM   #9

If you really hurry, you can get the XT from Dell for $649. Go to www. supercoupon.com to get the Dell checkout code. I forgot what it was.
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote