Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 26, 2005, 7:11 PM   #1

I'm new to SLRs. I got an XT last week and have noticed a fuzzy black spot in the upper right of all pics with a light background. Only noticable in some pics, but I'd prefer it be gone.

I tried cleaning the sensor per manual, but no change. Actaully, after the sensor claening I now have a small black spot on the LCD.

What should I do from here? I bought the cam new last week - have I bought a lemon? I'd like to know if either of these problems are real defects so I can return under warranty.

Otherwise, I love the cam!

Out, Out Damn Spot
RJ Reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2005, 1:25 PM   #2

I just went through the same ordeal. Per recommendation on another board, I purchased a large giottos rocket blower. Even with that it took several tries, but I managed to get the blasted spec of dust off my sensor. The quality blower definitely qualifies as a must-have in my book.
devwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 2:31 AM   #3

The spots are not defects and easily removed if you do it right. Do it wrong and you WILL have a defect!

The black spot on the LCD screen is probably the same spot, it is just showing up on the IMAGES you are viewing on the screen.

Set the camera to a 30 second exposure, have your blower brush ready WITHOUT the brush, face the camera opening to the floor and press the shutter. This helps dust fall OUT of the camera.

WITHOUT the brush on the blower, squeeze the air fast and continuously into the camera, aiming at the sensor AND the focussing screen to get rid of all dust.

Make sure you stop well before the 30 seconds isup and make sure the batteries are fully charged.

Put the lens back on and try a few shots, repeat until all dust has gone. If problem persists, take to a pro cleaner or dealer to have it done properly.

DONT touch the sensor with ANYTHING and dont use compressed air from a canister.

Be careful,

Nick

P.s. Dust shows up more when you use smaller apertures like f8 or f11, that is why it only shows up in some pics.

Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 9:49 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Or to avoid severe damage if you can't count to 30 accurately you could use the sensor clean function from the menus which will lock up the mirror and expose the sensor.

There are many safe methods for cleaning your sensor, some of which involve touching it with something like a sensor swab or cleaning brush.

http://www.visibledust.com/ for example.

Do a search for sensor cleaning in these forums.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 5:35 PM   #5

I dont get why all people allways got big fuzz on sensor cleaning?

I bought sensor cleaning kit about 40 € and I have been cleaning my sensor once in a 3 weeks ... It's very easy if you know how to do it

And yes!! IM TOUCHING it!

Check These links!!!

http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2...;Store_Code=MT

http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2...uct_Code=PSI-1

http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2...oduct_Code=SW1
Bache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 12:52 AM   #6

The advice not to touch was for a person new to DSLR´s. Like you say it is easy if you know how to do it, but if you don´t it could cost you a lot of money. So the advice was, if you don´t know what you are doing, do not touch the sensor! Nothing wrong with that.

You are obviously very competent and hats off to you
Old Sep 7, 2005, 1:22 AM   #7

I've heard that Canon Service is quite good about cleaning sensors. You bought a new camera, and deserve to have one which is not dirty to start. You probably will have to learn how to clean it eventually, but that could be several months from now -- so getting Canon service is areasonableoption for you; certainly a lot better than invalidating the warranty if something goes wrong due to poor self-service.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 8:19 AM   #8

I agree! All I ment was, that eventually you have to clean your camera sensor some way or the other... I think it's good to search cheap way to do it yourself... Here inFinland Canon servicetakes about 50 €for sensor cleaning... I thinkit costway too much! If you regulary change lenses for your camera it's impossibleto keep your sensor clean forever....

And what most people don't know is that the sensor is protected with a class plate so you dont get it broken very easily... As long you dont cratch the glass you should be safe...

But If youdeside you dont want to do it your self. Fine by me

Bache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 8:31 AM   #9

Gotcha!
Old Sep 7, 2005, 9:50 AM   #10

RJ Reb wrote:
Quote:
I tried cleaning the sensor per manual, but no change. Actaully, after the sensor claening I now have a small black spot on the LCD.

Sensor cleaning per manual? Which method you used to clean the sensor? The sensor cleaning mode only put the mirror out of the way, you still have to clean using theblower or the eclipse solution.

I bought the copperhill method but didn' do it for a while as all the talk on the forums was making me nervous. When I finally got to swipe the sensor, it was much easier to do than what I thought and with 1-2 swipes, all dust spots are done.

Now I need to clean my AF sensors.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote