Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 27, 2005, 1:16 AM   #1

I recently purchased an EOS 350D, after owning a D30. The D30 worked fine with my Sigma 28-200 AF lens, whereas I am seeing constant error 99 messages on the 350D. If I changed the aperture to anything other than 5.6 or use the camera at less than around 100 mm focal length, it will give the error every time! The lens worked fine on the D30 and still works well on my Eos50. I have cleaned the contacts numerous times, removed the battery, checked the shutter operation etc and still no luck. I am really annoyed with Canon and the person that sold me the camera, as I was told this camera was compatible with all my old Eos gear (hmm - I know a Sigma lens is not genuine Canon gear, but it worked fine on the other cameras!). If I had known that I would now be buying new lenses because of a deficiency in the camera, I would have purchased a Nikon or just kept the D30!!!
roastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2005, 1:40 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Canon never said that your old Sigma lenses, or any 3rd party lens new or old, would work with your new camera.

None of the old Canon lenses have this problem - so whose fault is it that you are using Sigma?

If your Sigma lens is still under warrantee I suggest you take it in to be re-chipped otherwise it's just one of those things. If you're not willing to take these risks then you should have bought Canon lenses in the first place.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 5:35 AM   #3

You can have the lens upgraded by Sigma, I think it costs around $50 if the warranty is expired, but I'm not sure about that. Contact Sigma and they'll be able to sort it out.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 5:59 AM   #4

Thank you. Not sure if this can be done in Australia, but I will try to find out.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:03 PM   #5

that error is the camera is having trouble communicating with the lens. prolly not certified for the 350d.
drcorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:52 PM   #6

If you want to make sure your lenses always work with your DSLR and you plan to keep buying Canon digital SLR's- today or 5 years from today, buy CanonEF lenses. Canon is under no obligation to make sure your Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, or any other non-Canon lenses work. That is the responsibility of the lens maker, not Canon.

Many people don't seem to understand that concept, but Canon doesn't exist to make bodies for Sigma lenses. If you want to verify your Sigma lens always work with your Digital SLR, you need to be buying Sigma digital SLR's. Just as you've seen with the D30, aswe go down the road with this technologyCanon will no doubt be introducing new bodies with new technologiesthatmay beincompatible with third party lenses that work today. When you make the decision to go with a different company's lens that's the chance you take.

Sigma seems for now to have fixed the "problem" they had with the EF mount. You obviously have an older lens and would just be better off buying a newer model. Ifyour particularlenshas been out of production very long, Sigma has probably stopped supplying the fix for it.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 12:36 AM   #7

Went out today and purchased the cheap 55-200 mm from Canon. It will have to do until I can afford a better lens... Ah well, win some, lose some.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 4:07 PM   #8

Despite the good reviews some these third party lenses get, I will never buy one. There is enough potential problems just staying with Canon lenses. I agonized for days before buy the 70-200mm F2.8L IS, that I would get the infamous freezing problem where you have to turn the camera off and remove the battery to get it going.
terryf1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 6:11 PM   #9

I've just registered and I had to reply to this as I feel for the person involved - the same thing happened to me. I bought a 10D, allowing me to stick with Canon and use mySigma lenses includinga 70-200 APO lens which I adored. I also got the error 99 message and went to great lengths to find out why. The answer is that Sigma don't have some sort of deal with Canon and develop new leneses with their co-operation. They "backwards engineer" their lenses to fit Canon cameras. Occasionally a newcamera comes out which is slightly different in the way it communicates with Canon lenses. Canonmake adjustments to the chips contained in the lenses, ensuring it is compatible with all their cameras. Sigma on the other hand are caught on the hop and have to redesign new chips for their lenses to take into account the new Canon camera.If your Sigma lens contains an "old" chip they will fit a new chip for you, (in my case for free, apart from postage). However in the case of two of them, they were too old a design and would NEVER work with the 10D.

I like Sigma, loved my APO lens and they gave me a great trade in deal to purchase upto date equipment. But beware, whilst Sigma will "re-chip" as required, the day will come when the lens is so old it won't be possible. Perhaps the lens you bought a few years back won't work with the new 5D you're thinking about buy....

Be careful.
JohntheMackem is offline   Reply With Quote