Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 28, 2005, 11:45 PM   #11

Here is a site that has a simulated SLR camera that you can interact with as a learning tool:

http://www.camerasinteractive.com/index.php#
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 2:46 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I've just got my main computer back so I'll have some time to check out all those links plus some other ones from the other thread.

I just noticed something funny with my camera and I can't remember how it was before - so again, i'm worried because it's my new toy and it's so expensive.

1. The end of the lens for the kit lens. I can't remember if it always sticks out a bit or if it's supposed to go all the back in to the twisty part when it's at the dot.

2. I noticed now when I turn my lens from 18 to 55mm, when I go past the dot part it makes a clicking sound. Is this normal?

Thanks for helping me with my worries again!

Doug
Doug_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:43 PM   #13

Anyone?

I'm worried about my camera and I only have a day or two to get it fixed if need be.

The lens is making a clicking sound when I rotate it from 18-55 on the kit lens. It clicks at the circle point - only when rotating in this direction. I'm just hoping something isn't wrong with it because I don't remember the clicking at all before!
Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:43 PM   #14

I don't hear a click with mine - just a little bit of (gear/friction) noise throughout the entire range. The dot is around the transition point for a change in direction of front lens movement, so that could be related to it.

I don't know if you have a problem with your lens. I'd suggest taking it to the store, trying a couple of their lenses, and comparingthem to yours. If yours is noisy and theirs aren't, you could havea case for asking for a substitution.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:48 PM   #15

Darn, this is frustrating.

It's pretty silent the whole way but when turning from 18-55 at the dot, it sounds almost like a piece of plastic is being bent back and then let loose and vibrating slightly (now that I've listend closely).

I wonder if something inside is scraping or not. hmmmm