Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 4, 2005, 8:56 PM   #1

I can't seem to find my owner's manual and was wondering how to set the center point focusing on 20D. Thanks for any replies.
NNDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2005, 9:13 PM   #2

While looking through the viewfinder press the right-most button on the back of the camera by your right thumb, then use the "Main Dial" behind the shutter release to select the focus point (you can also use the "Command Dial" on the back of the camera ... your preference).

You find it in the index of the manual as "AF Point" and the instructions start on page 67. I don't like using the joystick, so I do the selection based on the top of page 68 (Selecting With the Dial).

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 9:36 AM   #3

BobA is quite right. Once set it will stay until you change it. Many of us stay with Center point focusing for various reasons.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 3:13 PM   #4

thanks guys. I shot some football the other night and was disappointed with the results. Is center point AI Servo a good idea? It's night football.
NNDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 10:04 PM   #5

Just FYI, in the basic zone, as Canon calls it, the 20D goes to full auto and the center point focus is no longer in effect.I believe the same would apply for the DRebel & XT.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 6:53 AM   #6

CTrack - Good catch. It has been so long since I used a basic mode that I forgot about it.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 8:10 AM   #7

Setiprime wrote:
Quote:
CTrack - Good catch. It has been so long since I used a basic mode that I forgot about it.
Agree, good catch by Ctrack. Like you I don't use the Basic modes and keep forgetting that there are some differences.

:lol:I'm still looking for the procedure for deleting those modes from my camera and replacing them with something useful :lol:
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:17 AM   #8

Thanks,

The reason I know is that it "bit" me this weekend. I was doing a model shoot and and wanted to use the basic zone "portrait"for low light and flash. I used the basic zone and couldn't center focus. I missed a few shots. "Ouch!" Decided that dragging the shutter was a better move so I could use the centerfocus mode.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote