Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 5, 2005, 1:53 AM   #1

Does anyone know Canons market share vs Nikon either among pro's or among consumers. Has it changed in recent years? Not trying to stir up the old Canon vs Nikon debate here (both excellent systems) but just interested.

Judging by the number of posts on these forums, the canon forums are busier .I was at a music event recently with 3 pro photogpraphers and they all had nikons. The last few weddings I've been to, the official photographer was using Nikon each time. But you do see a lot of white lenses at the football on the tv.

Be interested to hear other peoples thoughts.
Dinmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:18 AM   #2
NHL

Dinmore wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know Canons market share vs Nikon either among pro's or among consumers. Has it changed in recent years? Not trying to stir up the old Canon vs Nikon debate here (both excellent systems) but just interested.
You can take a look at their financial data as well (with the indicative overall market share by $) - This is updated to the public every quarter from their investor relation department on the web
Realizing too that the Pro market is only a small fraction of their overall sales... :idea:
(and also the States vs worldwide sales...)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 2:55 PM   #3

I thought about that but I was more interested in the SLR ranges rather than point and shoot etc. Im not aware that they break their figures into this level of detail.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 3:17 PM   #4

Dinmore wrote:
Quote:
I thought about that but I was more interested in the SLR ranges rather than point and shoot etc. Im not aware that they break their figures into this level of detail.
This might give you an idea:

http://forums.robgalbraith.com/ubbthreads.php

Not exactly a scientific approach, but look at the number of forms for Canon versus the other manufacturers, and the number of users on line. On the Rob Galgraith forums there are typically 3 times as many Canon DSLR users on-line as Nikon DSLRusers.

On this forum there are 13829+ posts in the Canon DSLR section and 5620+ posts in the Nikon DSLR section ( 2.5:1 for Canon)
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:50 PM   #5
NHL

Dinmore wrote:
Quote:
... Im not aware that they break their figures into this level of detail.
Canon do break their lens sales into a separate entry which are unique to SLR/dSLR
(IMO you can assume SLR sales are in the noises...)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:51 PM   #6

Number of forum posts mean absolutely nothing.

Go to Nikonians.com and (shockingly!) there are loads of nikon related posts.
You can find loads of Nikon related links at http://www.nikonlinks.com/

In my opinion, Canon has really won over the sports and photo journalism markets. Their DSLRs are very good and you combine that with their high speed motors and they do what those markets need very well.

In the other markets its more of a toss up (except at the really high end, where the Canon 1Ds really owns that space... heck it competes well with medium format.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 10:39 PM   #7

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Number of forum posts mean absolutely nothing.

Go to Nikonians.com and (shockingly!) there are loads of nikon related posts.
You can find loads of Nikon related links at http://www.nikonlinks.com/

In my opinion, Canon has really won over the sports and photo journalism markets. Their DSLRs are very good and you combine that with their high speed motors and they do what those markets need very well.

In the other markets its more of a toss up (except at the really high end, where the Canon 1Ds really owns that space... heck it competes well with medium format.)

Eric
The number of users on multi-brand forums may not be an accurate way to determine sales of each, but it can be a good indicator if the forums are large enough and attract the same percentage of users for each brand.

Steve's Digicams and Rob Galbratith have forums for all manufacturers. As I stated in my first post this method is "not scientific". however probably more accurate than an opinion.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 2:51 AM   #8

Im sure there must be someone from Canon's marketing department somewhere reading these forums every now and then. I know they aren't going to divulge confidential sales information with people as unimportant as customers but....go on Mr Product Manager, tell us something we can't find out anywhere else. I bet you tell those investor bods so it is public knowledge really.

Any industry analysts out there with a spin on this?