Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:00 PM   #1

As I'm thinking of upgrading to 350D but the FZ10 I have has an anti shake control and I have quite shaky hands I was wondering if Canon do anything similar and if so how good it is. Can anyone help please?

Cheers

Rich
Daikomyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2005, 1:21 PM   #2

The choices are expensive. But you will get far better pictures with the 350D using 17-85 IS or the 28-135 IS, IS stands for Image Stabilized.
terryf1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 1:27 PM   #3
dlw

I had both a Canon 75-300 and a Tamron lens and got so tired of dragging a tripod along that I bought a Canon 75-300 image stabilizer lens and am so glad that I did. Well worth the money. My next purchase will be for the 28-135image stabilzedlens for what I think will be my most useful lens of all. If I had to do it all again, I would keep the 18-55 kit lens and buy the 28-135 IS lens. I purchased a 50mm-1.8 lens last week and although it is pretty nice, I think I am going to return it and put the money toward the 28-135 IS.I'm just a slow learning newbie, and am just starting to figure out my priorites and needs, but after owning a Panasonic FZ20 with stabilization, I couldn't live without it.
dlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 4:06 AM   #4
wrb

dlw wrote:
Quote:
If I had to do it all again, I would keep the 18-55 kit lens and buy the 28-135 IS lens.
That's just what I did. Got the 350 with the 18-55, bought a 28-135 IS as a walkabout lens and I now have a 100-400 IS for my telephoto.

However, I do miss something wider than 18mm and really found this on holiday so a wide angle will be my next buy.
wrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 4:35 AM   #5

Thanks guys

A 350D with Is lens it is then. I appreciate the advice.

Anyone got any sample pics they have done- telephoto animals or birds in particular? I'd like to see a few before writing the cheque.

Cheers and take care

Rich
Daikomyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 9:34 AM   #6

Take a quick look at my stuff. All shots are with either the 28/135 IS or the Canon 70/200 f2.8 L IS. YES it does make a big difference.

www.pbase.com/jpferguson

Good shooting
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 5:06 PM   #7

Canon offers nothing of value in the department of anti shake. They have a few lenses here and there but the lenses are slow and expensive.

The best deal going right now is the Konica Minolta 5D. I have had the Konica Minolta 7D and it was a fantastic camera. I sold it because it had a few deal-breakers for a professional and some of those things have been fixed on the 5D.

I hope Canon wakes up and provides image stabilization in the body, but if not, or until they do, the KM 5D is a fantastic camera. I shoot with the Canon 20D and 1D MKII cameras and Canon has just released a 24-105 F4 L lens that sells for about $1300 just for the lens. Even so, the Canon cameras are designed to operate using "precision focus" with lenses at F2.8 and faster so the new lens is not fast enough to use the better focus points.

On the 5D camerafrom KM all the lenses you own are AntiShake and this is a great advantage.

Peter
Peter Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 5:55 AM   #8
NHL

I tend to agree with Peter

KM just do not have enough resource to compete yet...
IMO the tide will eventually turn when Sony start to market theses dSLR under their own brand and sell them more agressively to the mass-market with their more effective 'marketing machine'

Quote:
On the 5D camera from KM all the lenses you own are AntiShake and this is a great advantage.
... and all the 3rd party too, which make them a powerful combination :idea:
(especially in some of the specialty lenses that Canon do not make)

-> case in point and back to the original poster question: the KM with the Bigma 50-500 EX will more than replicate the FZ-10 @ a significant saving over what Canon has to offer, or have yet to...

The 5D with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is another powerful combination for low-light photography and is not on the Canon line-up
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 9:54 AM   #9

Anyone got shots (with 100% crops) at low SS with any telephoto with > 400mm focal length on Konica Minolta, would love to see.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:05 AM   #10
Administrator

Peter Gregg wrote:
Quote:
The best deal going right now is the Konica Minolta 5D. I have had the Konica Minolta 7D and it was a fantastic camera. I sold it because it had a few deal-breakers for a professional and some of those things have been fixed on the 5D.
I'm actually leaning towards purchasing a 5D now myself (even though you can buy a 7D for about the same price after the recent price drop and new rebate program).

I've seen just enough photos from it to make me think it's sensor/supporting chipset/image processingmay be a little bit more refined. I'm asking around to see if someone can provide me some images to reach some conclusions (taken using the same manual exposure settingsraw+ jpeg from both models, with the same lenses, subjects, lighting, etc. Hopefully, I'll get some more images, soon.

Also, Peter has written some good stuff about metering when using flash that KM changed with the5D.

BTW Peter, thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts with others on the 7D Flash System.

It probably wouldn't matter to most people, but some of these subtle changes are making me lean towards a 5D over a 7D, even though the 7D has more features, better controls, better viewfinder,and a larger buffer.

I'm waiting to get my hands on one before deciding, and want to compare a few more samples taken in the same conditions to better understand any differences.

P.S.

If you haven't kept up with Mike Johnston's Weekly Sunday Morning Photographer, his July 3 Catch the Rave! mentioned Peter Gregg's article on the KM 7D, and you'll find links to download it, too.

Make sure to see some of Mike's other recent Sunday Morning Photographer series here, too. Several of them highlight the benefits of Antishake (Mike has been pretty enthusiastic about the 7D he purchased from Peter Gregg). :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote