Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 6, 2005, 4:38 PM   #1

When taking a group picture how should the focal point be set. If I focus just on the center then the sides will be blurry.

How do I get everyone focused.

Some pictures I took came out blurry because of wrong focus settings can it be corrected in photoshop if yes how??

Thanks,
pleaseadvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2005, 5:49 PM   #2

It probably can't be fixed, the sides are obviously out of focus and not within the DOF of whatever aperture you used. There are two options: There's a creative mode called A-DEP or something like that (it's the last mode after M). That's a mode specifically made in order for the camera to have a lot of things in focus (in this case, a group of people).

After you focus in on a target, you can even have a preview button to check out your DOF (it's a bit below the flash button). I think it'll only work if you pressed the shutter button half way.

Another option is to increase the aperture yourself to increase your DOF, or if you want to, you can put some more distance between you and the group (in "theory" it should increase the DOF, but I'm not sure if there'll be a significant difference in this case).
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 2:52 PM   #3

I don't comprehend this sounds too complicated. If the red dot is in the center only the center is focused how can I get a group of 7 people in focus? What settings should I be in? I am not ready for manual too new at this. I tried the P and that is how some pictures came out blurred. Please advice
Old Sep 9, 2005, 4:54 PM   #4

Hi ,
Rebel XT has 7 auto focus points. you can select any of them to be your focus point.

if you select a particular object to be in focus, all the stuffs in that particular focus plain (all the objects parallel to the object you focussed or the objects at same perpendicular distance from the lens ) should be in focus.

Also the objects little before and after the focussed object will be in focus depending on the lens aperture. The "little" i meant depends on the aperture of the lens ,
eg
if aperture is less (f/9 the little = 0.5m and
if aperture is more (f/2 the little = 0.1m

this is called as depth of field.

the above 9 & 2 are inverse of aperture (if the aperture (lense opening) is more the above number will be lens)

that's why while taking group photos if you wish everyone should be in focus use smaller aperture so that if some one is standing closer or far than the person u r focussing, they will also appear sharp in the picture.

please ignore if my informations are much low level and you know them before.

Regarding your question about focus points, please go thru the camera manual so that you will get a better Idea. and you can learn abt depth of field , aperture.. etc by searching on google.

Think that was helpful.

pasu_chennai

pasu_chennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 5:38 PM   #5

Try this:
- Put the camera into Av (Aperture Priority) mode instead of P.
- Use the wheel next to the shutter to set the Aperture to 8.0
- Put the center focus point on the person in the middle of the group, focus and shoot.

The camera will select the correct shutter speed to match that aperture. If the shutter speed it selects is slower than 1/60s you may have to choose a higher ISO.

To select ISO on the Rebel XT:
- The "up" button of the circle on the back is also labeled ISO.
- Press that button and it jumps you to the ISO menu.
- Use the "down" button on the back to select a higher ISO (200, 400, 800 etc)
- Press the SET button in the middle of the circle to set that ISO
- Take the picture again.

If the depth of field is still not enough you may have to back up a bit or change the Aperture to 10.0 or 11.0.
marymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:55 AM   #6

Thanks for the detailed instructions that was I need. Can I do this for indoor shots. I was on a cruise taking indoor shots of a group and had set my camera to night portrait using the flash that came with the camera and that was when the blurry results happened.

Yes the background had good color but the people came out out of focus.

Another question I am not sure how to set the focus points? Can you advice.

Thanks,
Old Dec 27, 2005, 1:42 PM   #7

using an 17-85 image stabilizer lense on a canon rebel xt....I would like to know how to photograph a group of people within the preset buttons.(I was given this advice ...but I am afraid I won't remember it. prefer somethng simpler)thanks,Try this:- Put the camera into Av (Aperture Priority) mode instead of P.- Use the wheel next to the shutter to set the Aperture to 8.0- Put the center focus point on the person in the middle of the group, focus and shoot.The camera will select the correct shutter speed to match that aperture.* If the shutter speed it selects is slower than 1/60s you may have to choose a higher ISO.To select ISO on the Rebel XT:- The "up" button of the circle on the back is also labeled ISO.- Press that button and it jumps you to the ISO menu.- Use the "down" button on the back to select a higher ISO (200, 400, 800 etc)- Press the SET button in the middle of the circle to set that ISO- Take the picture again.If the depth of field is still not enough you may have to back up a bit or change the Aperture to 10.0 or 11.0.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:31 AM   #8

Dear Pleaseadvise,

"Another question I am not sure how to set the focus points? Can you advice." Yes, read your instuction booklet. Same thing goes if you don't know how to set the ISO.

You ask how to do something, you spend about $1500 on a camera/lens combo and it's all too confusing for you ("I don't comprehend this sounds too complicated.") I may be a little to sensitive but those who have taken the time to reply have given you some useful, and in one case, a clever way to solve your problem and I think your responce is insulting.

So here's a simple one that should work - Since you obviously got in over your head sell the damn camera and buy a good point-n-shoot.

If you think I'm being too tough on you try what BoYFrMSpC said with a slight variation - If you are shooting indoors:
1. Set the ISO to 800 (if outdoors try 100 ISO)
2. Set the control dial to A-DEP and
3. Turn on the flash.

Oh, I almost forgot -
4. Push the shutter button.
Africa is offline   Reply With Quote