Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 7, 2005, 6:26 PM   #1

I am planing on getting a Rebel XT camera, so far i have this in my kit and I want to know if itsa good deal or is there any other lenses that are better?

EOS Digital Rebel XT Body (Black) - EOS 350D
1GB Compact Flash Memory Card
NB-2L 800mAh Replacment Battery for Canon (BP-2LCL)
Deluxe SLR Holster Case
Canon RC-1 Wireless Remote Control for EOS
Tamron 19-35 F3.5-4.5/ for Canon EOS
Canon Vertical Battery Grip BG-E3 FOR EOS Digital Rebel XT
Tamron 75-300 LD F4-5.6 FS=62 / CANON EOS

Price: $1,494.92 with shipping

Is that a good deal ? my budget is only $1,500 dlls

or any other lens i should change/consider? is the Kit lens better than the 19-35 tamron ?

Thanks in advance

Shanti Castillo Gilbert

Shanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2005, 9:20 PM   #2

It's a good deal but do you really need all that stuff?

I;ve never had a need for the remote, a holster case, replacement battery or battery grip.

Those two Tamron lenses are too slow for aRebel XT.

I'd recommend looking ata Tamron 28-75 XR DI asyour basic lens or use the kit lens with the XT.

Even the Canon 50m F1.8 lens (about $79) is nice to have in your camera bag.

Get yourself a chaap 1gb compact flash, a nice sized case and a lens cleaning kit.

Later on you can buy a tripod if you don't already have one and maybe a reasonable costexternal flash.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:05 PM   #3

I agree with Terry.

The problem with some of these package deals (like the ones from cametacamera) are that they have a bunch of items that you may not, or are of pretty low quality, to try to make it look like a great deal.

-What kind of compact flash card is it?
-Do youreally WANT a holster case?
-Do you really need a grip?
-What brand of replacement battery (is it from a reputable manfacturer)?
-Are these really the lenses you want, or if you did more research would you find something like a 28-75 f2.8 to be more useful?

If I had a budget of$1500 for a "starter" kit I would pick (just me ... yourneeds could differ):

- Rebel XT
- Tamron 28-75 f2.8
- 1 GB Sandisk Ultra II CF card
- Small bag such as a Lowepro Micro Trekker 100
- 50mm f1.8 w/ inexpensive rubber hood
- 67mm Hoya HMC Circular Polarizing filter

all for $1480 at B&H Photo. And you'd have enough money left over to get a lens cleaning kit or a spare battery from www.SterlingTek.com .

After that my next purchase would be a flash such as the Sigma EF-500 DG Super ($239), then a good quality, solid tripod with a decent head. For me I place the tripod last because for the type of shooting I do I need a flash more than a tripod ... everyone has different needs though.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:58 PM   #4

Thanks that sounds really good, except that I do need a higher zoom lens ( like the Tamron 300mm) but you guys say its to slow, any other alternatives?

Thanks

Shanti Castillo Gilbert
Old Sep 8, 2005, 1:05 AM   #5

Shanti wrote:
Quote:
Thanks that sounds really good, except that I do need a higher zoom lens ( like the Tamron 300mm) but you guys say its to slow, any other alternatives?

Thanks

Shanti Castillo Gilbert
Personally, I don't have anything against getting a slow lens, I just like to get the best optics I can afford. I'd rather settle on one less lens that gives me nice sharp results than a couple of really cheap lenses that give soft images unless you stop them down to f8 ... this is why I would opt for the 28-75 f2.8 with your budget. If your budget is very tight then I'm afraid that a fast lens that takes you to 300mm will be out of the question.

You could get the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 for $839 which is pretty inexpensive for a fast zoom, and many claim the image quality is excellent. If You need a bit more length, get a tele extender to go with it (Canon 1.4X II for $280 or Kenko 1.4X for $195).

I went the "cheaper" route and didn't worry about having a fast lens for the 70-200 range, so I purchased a Canon 70-200 f4L ($580) with an 1.4X extender. I mainly use it outdoors during the day, so I haven't really felt bad about not having a f2.8.

NHL and some of the others on this forum know quite a bit about third party lenses and may comment about a good zoom for someone on a very limited budget. It's really important to know though if getting the shot is more important to you than the image quality. The Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for instance is optically a very, verygood lens that you will probably want to keep as part of your kit for years. Iwouldn't expect a $150 to $25070-300mm lensto be anywhere near as sharp.

Also, every zoom listed in the "Zoom - telephoto" category at B&H that is less expensive than the Canon 70-200 f4L is f5.6 at the long end (Note: the f4L is f5.6 with the 1.4X extender ... but at least it is f4 without the extender at 200mm). The Sigma 70-200 f2.8 is the least expensive f2.8 lens in the category.

Bob

Old Sep 8, 2005, 1:19 AM   #6

Shanti wrote:
Quote:

Thanks

Shanti Castillo Gilbert
You can get the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8f stop lens for 699.99 or 739.99 for the new DG (Digital Designed) APO version from http://www.sigma4less.com

They are a reputable dealer, as has been mentioned here before. Enjoy!

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 2:56 AM   #7

I plan on using the zoom lens onlyby day, not by night, even like that the tamron 75-300 is not a good option ? i know i won't get the BEST quality, but is it really that horrible?

unfortunately a 500+dll lens is out of the question right now

Thanks

Shanti Castillo Gilbert

Old Sep 8, 2005, 9:09 AM   #8

Shanti wrote:
Quote:
I plan on using the zoom lens onlyby day, not by night, even like that the tamron 75-300 is not a good option ? i know i won't get the BEST quality, but is it really that horrible?

Thanks

Shanti Castillo Gilbert

Get a Sigma from Sigma4less.com Get the 70-300mm Sigma DG APO Macro 1:2, you'll see one really cheap and like a newer version DG (again) stated for Digital Bodies. They're both good, ask NHL for help with that one.

It's a above average lens... around 200.00 dollars.

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 9:23 AM   #9

Shanti wrote:
Quote:

Thanks

Shanti Castillo Gilbert

I can't comment on what the best of all the cheapo lenses will give you. However, I'll give you a few questions that can help others help you:

1. Why are you buying a DSLR?

2. Do you know about the committment you have to make to post processing your images in Photoshop to correct color casts and sharpen them?

3. What size of prints will you typically have made from your camera?

4. If your budget is so tight, why are you buying a Rebel XT?Have you considered gettinga used DSLR or a film SLR so you could afford a good lens or two.

5. What is your primary use for the camera? 300mm is quite long, but some would say that you need 400mm for wildlife. Do you ever intend to take indoor shots of your family? Do you want one lens that does everything?

6. Have you considered getting a point and shoot camera such as the Canon Pro-1 or Lumix FZ30 instead of a DSLR?

7. What is your current camera?

If we know where you are and where you are trying to go in photography it will really help.