Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 7, 2005, 6:58 PM   #1

It appears that some of the vendor accounts on Amazon have been hijacked. I was checking some prices and came across a used but like new Rebel XT with kit lens for $500. I looked a bit more and saw a used but like new 20D with kit lens for $800. Within seconds, a second used but like new 20D with kits lens appeared for $700 and then quickly disappeared. I hope some poor soul didn't fall for the scam. You know the cliche, folks. Of course, Amazon provides no clear and easy way to report abuse. It appears they would rather allow their customers to be victimized than to make information available which might show that their site is vulnerable.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:28 PM   #2

I don't think anything was "hijacked", it's just a feature where Amazon, for whatever reason (ok ... probably to make $), allows resellers to advertise on their site. Since some of the obvious scam sitesreappear and disappear it looks like Amazon may do some policing (maybe removing a site after there is a complaint).

Frankly I don't understand why a big company like Amazon does this. They seem to want to be a mini-eBay, and don't do a good job (for some people) of distiguishing between what is being sold by Amazon or an Amazon "approved" affiliate and some Joe schmuck trying to make a fast buck. It just seems to confuse some people and giveAmazon a bad name when some ripoff artist suckers someone.

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 1:35 PM   #3

The reason I think accounts have been hijacked is because some of these scams appeared in the accounts of long-time vendors with good feedback after thousands of transactions. For instance, the Rebel XT for $500 and the 20D for $800 appeared under the account of "bar32" whose previous transactions indicate he is a reputable bookseller.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 10:09 PM   #4

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
The reason I think accounts have been hijacked is because some of these scams appeared in the accounts of long-time vendors with good feedback after thousands of transactions. For instance, the Rebel XT for $500 and the 20D for $800 appeared under the account of "bar32" whose previous transactions indicate he is a reputable bookseller.
Here'sone that's interesting:

A store called entirelypets.com selling Canon DSLR's (ya, right). They have a 4 1/2 star rating on Amazon.com with 863 ratings. They do have a ZERO rating (two completely disatisfied customers out of two reviews) on reselleratings.com, but at least it was for petstore products. Hijack ... maybe.

It's unfortunate that some people really thinkthey are going to get some sort of deal that will be way lower than buydig.com, B&H, or especially Dell with a bunch of coupons. The world is full of suckers I guess, and after reading so many posts on the forums asking if some 20D or XT at 50-75% of the price of B&H is a good deal the good side of me can't help but step in to say SCAM. But deep down inside I think we should just say nothing and let these naive people learn a lesson that hopefully they won't keep repeating.

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 2:30 PM   #5

The scam of the day today on Amazon appears to be a Canon S2IS for $300. I'm not sure this one is a hijacked account. The storefront belongs to US Rainier Developer but traces back to Juniko, Inc. as the seller. A search of Juniko indicates what may be a connection to a possible penny stock scam out of Denver.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:06 PM   #6

I almost fell for the scam last week on Amazon.

The information on those sellers were altered so anye-mail will berouted to the scammers. I havesearched some high ticket itemslike plasma TV, LCD TV, and SLR cameras and found the same sellers on many lists.

The scammer's goal is to get your name and address so they can send you a fake Amazon e-mail advising you to pay through Western Union (or MoneyGram) to places like Romania. Fortunately, I said no at the last minute.

Following are the lessons I learned:

- if the price is too good to be true, it is likely not true

- if the order was cancelled by Amazon, DO NOT contact the seller (then give out your address)

I have read at other forum about some students got conned that way.

I have sent Amazon e-mail about this. The specific one I encountered was off the list. However, there are still many around. Be careful.
formerisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:12 AM   #7

I have seen vendors with great deals and theres a little blurb on thier ad stating they just registered. It seems that everyone whos selling expensive items at rock bottom prices is a "just registered" seller..at least thats what i saw the last time i was on amazon... around april when i was buying my XT.

-zacker-
zacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:12 AM   #8

I have seen vendors with great deals and theres a little blurb on thier ad stating they just registered. It seems that everyone whos selling expensive items at rock bottom prices is a "just registered" seller..at least thats what i saw the last time i was on amazon... around april when i was buying my XT.

-zacker-
zacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 12:28 PM   #9

I want to buy a Canon XT and saw their listing and will likely cancel my Amazon Credit card. The $550 price did not specify exactly what was being sold. So much for a "good" company!

Does any one know of a good, and honest price?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 1:29 PM   #10

normc wrote:
Quote:
I want to buy a Canon XT and saw their listing and will likely cancel my Amazon Credit card. The $550 price did not specify exactly what was being sold. So much for a "good" company!

Does any one know of a good, and honest price?
Buydig.com has the lowest price in combonation with a being reputable. I've ordered from them many times and cannot recommend them enough.

Excellent service for me at least, fast shipping and they upgraded my Silver Rebel XT (for my business at college) toa Black one. =o) Free... I was lucky on that one.

BHPhoto is another great place, but you pay a little more. They are one of the most reputable and I'd go to say, ONLY reputable electronics store online from the New York area.

Adorama.com is good as well, as is SterlingTek.com for batteries. I get all my batteries from them.

Need filters? www.camerafilters.com is the THE best price and quality selection for filters.

=o) Anything else ya need?

Buy Sigma leses from www.sigma4less.com (reputable again!) and they have the best prices as well. BHPHoto is where I current get my Canon leses from as well.

Ebay is ok to look at, but many people have had good and bad experiences there.

Any other questions?

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote