Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 16, 2005, 1:17 AM   #21

Faster and wider are what I mean. Sorry for not disclosing that. I agree optical quality and build are superb.*
BarkerWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 3:42 PM   #22

I've heard decent things about the Sigma's, but I have never used them and I don't honestly know the standards of the people who said they liked them.

So while it is refreshing to hear things like (for example) "they are good lenses" until you know their definition of "good" that statement really doesn't mean much.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 3:50 PM   #23

Yeah, all of my lenses are Canon and I've been a little skeptic about Sigmas. I friend of mine has the 15-30 and the build quality seems suspect. His has a crack in the mount and I don't like the non-interior focusing (HSM as Canon calls it I think?).
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:25 PM   #24

I believe HSM is separate from internal focusing. HSM stands for hypersonic motors, its their faster and quieter auto focus motors.

But yet, I like internal focusing lenses as well. I only have 1, but it is nice.

In general one way that Sigma saves money is on the build quality. It usually isn't "bad" on their higher quality line, but it is usually not up to the build quality on the higher end Canon lenses.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:51 PM   #25
Super Moderator

i am going to say that the build quality on my 80-400 OS is superb... its equal to that of the 100-400 IS that my friend has.. sure its not white, and its quite a bit heavier.. but its as solid as a rock and the finish is immaculate..

that said, the 80-400 OS is one of sigma's more expensive EX series lenses too.. so i am sure that has something to do with it..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 12:05 AM   #26

well gents i played with a 1D2N today and the 5D. except for the rather minor bloodline updating its still pretty much the same. not worth a firesale on the 1D2.

now the 5D on the other hand was quite impressive for the price. canon has pretty much made it clear that FF is going to be the driving force in the canon line. it is one camera worth it price. handled excellently. with that 24-105 hung on it looks to be the best pairing in digital imaging under $4500. ah to be whole again for under $7500.

the 24-105 f4L IS USM is another great lens for the money the best street lens for a FF body. thats a january buy for me.

sorry guys nothing new in a crop zonefor now. but they had some other cool tech to show. see link

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/281498#2352377

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:57 AM   #27

The 1d-mkiin is as expected, pretty much same/same.

Now that 24-105 F4L IS does look like a most interesting addition:!:

As does the 10-color pigment 13*19 printer, if I ever need another small format printer (already have two 13*19's by Epson and HP), maybe they will make a larger version as well :G

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 3:17 AM   #28

Mark II N arrived today. I very happy with my results so far. The speed is awesome as expected and noise seems to be on par or better than 20D. Having additional ISO speeds allows me more freedom as well. Thanks for your help guys!