Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 9, 2005, 1:56 PM   #1

Using a Canon Digital Rebel XT - Does the computer need to be calibrated? How will I know how the pictures will print? Will I get what I see? If I need to calibrate how do you do this. I have an Apple computer using Tiger / with Iphoto 4

pleaseadvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2005, 2:12 PM   #2

pleaseadvice

Well, the big question is how will you be printing? Will you do it at home from your computer or will you be sending it out to have it done. Some of the print houses have you save your prints with a certain ICC profile to help them print.

I do all my prints at home, on an uncalibrated system. My prints turn out great. Some people think this is crazy, but it works for me.

The one problem with calibrating your system is you can get into a color chase. By what I mean, is you see a color on your screen and your printer doesn't quite get it right. You have to fiddle with it for some time to get the colors to match properly.

By what I am saying, a calibrated system is nice, but experiment first. Your setting might be really close now without having to go through all the steps to calibrate.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 3:45 PM   #3

Speedie is right. Try it and if you like the results you are done:!:

I started out with scanning slides, and went the hard route trying to get the monitor to match the slide, then the print to match the monitor. So now I have a well caliberated system.

But it did cost me to get it setup, I used a hardware spyder (By Pantone) to set up the monitor and a hardware patch reader (PrintFix) to make custom profiles for the printer. There is a system from Monaco is supposed to be easier to use.

I do not know if these hardware tools would work on a MAC, I used windows to generate the ICC profiles.

You may want to check into the printing forum for more info.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=32

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 5:54 PM   #4

I was not real happy with my setup because I sometimes had to do a couple of prints to get it right. I found a pretty cheap little program called ColorWizzard from and company called Color "n" Code. it was about $35. It is not as accurate as the pantone or monoco systems and it does not have a colorometer, just a visual adjustment. It was pretty simple to use and only took a few minutes, but I am pretty happy with the results for the investment. I rarely have to print anything more than once. Not a perfect match with my monitor, but pretty close.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 10:26 PM   #5

I generally agree with what has been said above, I'll just come from a slightly different angle.

It is all a question of what you want to achieve and your standards. If your monitor is close to your printer, then your monitor will be close to your printer. But it will be luck, and your monitor will slowly change over time so it won't stay close for ever.

Try making prints with what you have, and see if it's good enough. But I bet it isn't, or why would you be posting here?

Next search around on the web. There are some web pages that will help you calibrate your monitor. Unless they suggest you print something and try to match, then there is only so much you can do. It can help with brightness and contrast.

It won't help with color correctness.

There are some software packages that can help. Adobe Gama (which comes with Photoshop) is one of them. They can do more, but still are not as good as a real hardware solution (like the spyders and other devices.) But better isn't the point, the point is "good enough." If they are good enough for you, then you're happy and stop there.

If that isn't good enough, then look into the hardware solutions.

I have a Monaco Optrix Pro, and I find it works very well.

I also purchased a printer that also comes with many paper profiles. This will also improve the quality of your prints. Only by having paper profiles will you acheive the highest quality prints in matching your monitor to your prints. But you might produce good enough quality without this. This is why I purchased an Epson printer, because their photo quality printers come with very good paper profiles.

Their printers are not the cheapest, but they are good. Very good.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 12:41 AM   #6

eric s is right on the money here, it is all in what you are after for the end results.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 8:37 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice ...but what I want is to be able to correct photos and take to walgreen's and print 4X6 or 5X7 with proper color. Do I need to do anything on my system in that case??
Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:09 AM   #8

in that case you may not really need to do anything to your monitor, since it would not be calibrated withtheir equipment anyway. And I believe you can do some editing right there in the store although I'm not sure how much since I have never done it. Also it might be a little more expensive, but I would check out some of the local camera stores to see if they do digital printing, sometimes they will do a better job than Walgreens or WalMart because they will make some adjustments for you. Plus sometimes better quality papers and inks too for just a little more money.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:28 AM   #9

pleaseadvice - the guidance that Eric gave you is very good. However, seeing as what you really want to do is get your photos printed out at a local Walgreens or a local Costco (if available) there is another option for you that could work...

If all you have is your camera and you want to just take the memory card and bring it into the store and print pictures directly from it then you may have no alternative but to accept the colors as they are printed, correct or not. But, if you do post-processing of your images at home with an image editing program that supports color profiles (Photoshop, QImage, PictureWindow Pro, CorelDraw 10, maybe new version of Photoshop Elements, Graphic Converter 5.7), then using the color profiles provided by an outfit named Dry Creek Photo (http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Frontier/) may be the answer you need.

Go to the web page in the url I listed above and read their discussion and instructions and see if you can understand the steps involved. They also have a state by state database of retail stores for which they have profiled the stores' photo processing machines (usually Frontier or Noritsu digital printers). Hopefully they have profiles for a store that is near you.

Good luck!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 10:24 AM   #10

Thanks for the advice

Just looked into it and called Cosco and they said that professionals request their photos with "take of color correction" (this is the color correction provided by store to keep the one done at home.

My question to you is: Can I just go ahead into photoshop and fix picture save and go to cosco tell them to print and take of their color correction? will this work or do I need to download something to my computer first?? before color correcting.

please let me know?