Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 9, 2005, 3:02 PM   #1

When I download pictures taken at 8 megapixels on my screen it says

size - 48 X 32 inches = 72 dpt 22.M/22m8M (thought that shooting at Best Quality I would get a higher resolution)???

Do I need to resize anything I thought it would be at a higher DPI? Not sure how to store size of thesepictures. I mostly print 4X6 but would want the capability of saving a backup for larger prints in the future.

Also I would like to have an index of photos to easily identify - its difficult to identify by number.

please help

thanks,

pleaseadvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2005, 5:23 PM   #2

Save your original file as a backup. You can easily print an 8x10 from an 8 megapixel image. Regarding resizing or renaming - what program are you using? Can't help without details.

Regarding the dpi - ignore it. All that matters is the total number of pixels.

48in x 72dpi = 3456
32in x 72dpi = 2304

So presumably if you look at the number of pixels in your image you will see 3456x2304.

If you want to know how big the image will be at 300dpi:

3456px / 300dpi = 11.52in
2304px / 300dpi = 7.68in

At 300dpi this image will be 11.52x7.68 inches. You can use the same calculation to find out how big the image will be for any dpi. The 72dpi shown is just the default of the program you are using and has no relevance to the output at all. There are many discussions about this on photo.net if you do a search.
marymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 10:08 AM   #3

Thanks, for the help.
Let me know If i am correct
So I save the original as is / then do any corrections such as contrast/sharpenning and download in original size to cd to print at Walgreens. At that point I choose the size of picture I want to print.

Also do you know anything about printing thumbnails for archiving purposes...to have an easier way of finding photos.

"Regarding resizing or renaming - what program are you using? Can't help without details." I am using iphoto 4 on an apple system. and editing with photoshop 7
pleaseadvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:10 AM   #4

Here's what you do:
- Save a copy of all the photos to CD or DVD for archival purposes.
- If you're shooting in JPEG save the ones you like best as TIFs in photoshop to do the corrections.
- Once your done correcting/sharpening the ones you like best, save those to CD and take them to Walgreens/Costco/Photo lab.
- Save the files as TIFs unless your lab requires JPEG. If so, only save to JPEG as last step.
- Save the CDs with your corrected photos for archival purposes.

If you want to see/set the dpi in Photoshop open the image and go to Image > Image Size. This dialog box shows the pixel dimensions and the size at the current dpi. To change the dpi make sure that the Resample box is unchecked and change the dpi to its new setting (ie 300). You will see that the pixel dimensions stay the same but the inch dimensions change.

Regarding thumbnails, try File > Automate > Contact Sheet.
marymac is offline   Reply With Quote