Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:13 AM   #1

I did a quick search and didn't see anything for this.

So my question is simple. Everytime I take a picture with my Rebel XT, I make a big old noseprint/smudge on my LCD screen. Any tips/tricks to avoid this? :-)
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2005, 6:54 AM   #2

Canon makes an eyepeice extender EP-EX15 for the XT it may help some. I have one on my d-rebel, they cost about $20 though but gives you about an extra 1/2" away from the back of the camera.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:03 AM   #3

Cover the LCD with a LCD protector. I got a pack of ten at Sears for $5 last year and am on my second one. Fit it perfectly and take your time putting it on and you won't even be able to tell it's there. You won't have to clean off the sreen anymore. PDA screen protectors will work well also...just make sure to trim them right and you'll be happy. The eyepiece extender is a good option, but it reduces the viewfinder magnification. Good luck!
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:48 AM   #4

I use the ep-ex15 it helps, and wipe off the lcd with a microfiber cloth when needed.

The nose operated command dial on the back is more of a nucesance, I've found the settings on my 20D accidently nose altered more than a few times.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:48 AM   #5

I don't even bother trying to avoid nose prints on the LCD because you still have to wipe off any disposable protectors or go bankrupt replacing them.

Instead, I use a microfiber polishing cloth (pack of three purchased at WalMart for under US$ 2 in the automotive department). Washcloth-size (eyeglass care kits and many lens care kits now come with smaller ones), they are ultra-softand instantly remove spots, smudges, nose grease, etc. They have adifferent, almost rubber-like feel to the fibers, but can be washed several times before needing to be replaced. I use one for sweat, one for the camera.

If you want to pay more for the exact same item (like US$ 15 each) go to a camera store ... even a name brand tool vendor was pushing them (with their logo on the tag) at AirVenture this year at $12 each.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 2:57 PM   #6

maybe I just have a small nose... but I can avoid my nose hitting the LCD if I turn my head a little to the left when I look through the view finder. I also don't really completely rest my eye on the rubber part of the viewfinder (there's a slight gap between my eye and the viewfinder).

But as was pointed out, it'll just get dirty, anyway. I do a full wipe down on my camera around once a week.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:04 PM   #7

Thanks for the great advice everyone! I didn't know about the EP-EX15 that's a must have for my big nose. (hehe). I'll also get a microfibre or a LCD protector.....

Thanks again
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote