Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:50 PM   #1

Hi,

Does anyone know what is the absolute largest print you can produce using the Rebel XT without degredation of picture quality (pixilation)? This will help me decide what printer to buy.

Josh :O
mr-macro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:30 PM   #2

i heard 11x17. some say they've printed 20x30 without any problem.
barnesquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 4:44 PM   #3

Mr Macro

I have the Digital Rebel, and I print out at 13"x19". The prints look great. For my prints, I shoot RAW and the images sent to the printer are in TIFF format. And for the prints, I have used the Canon I9100 and now the Epson 2400. Great results from both of these printers and this camera combo.

Your Rebel XT should do even better.

I have seen some 24"x30" prints from 5 mp cameras and they look good too.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 5:26 PM   #4

Thanx Bill!

I know it is crazy, but I am leaning towards getting a 24inch wide carriage printer so I can do stuff like 24''x30'' posters. I am not a professional. Just love macro photography. I guess I will test print a few photos with a printer service and see how big I can get before I invest the $1000-$2000 it will cost to get a printer that can print that large.

Josh
mr-macro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 6:52 PM   #5

Do you have a current printer? If so you can test to see what your prints will look like huge.

Just interpolate the image you want up to the target size of 24*36 @ 300dpi then,
crop the resulting image or resize the canvas to an 8*10 and print it.
This swatch ill show you how the final would look.
You can usually get pro printers to make you a test swatch before making the actual print, they do charge a bit for each one.

Moose Peterson a rather well known photographer used to make huge prints from his Nikon d1 I think a 4mp camera. http://www.moosepeterson.com/home.html
He has some good digital darkroom tutorials on his site too.

:? The printer investment is the least of it, it cost 800$cdn to buy the 220ml ink-tanks for the Epson R7800. The tanks for the HP130 are similar in price and not all the same size(I think HP sized them all different so they all run out at about the same time)

Peter

mr-macro wrote:
Quote:
Thanx Bill!

I know it is crazy, but I am leaning towards getting a 24inch wide carriage printer so I can do stuff like 24''x30'' posters. I am not a professional.
Josh
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:45 PM   #6
Super Moderator

with a good interpolation program such as stair interpolation or genuine fractals, i have seen very good results up to 20x30 or even 24x36.. keeping in mind you are not standing 3 inches from the print :blah:
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:41 PM   #7

Ya, 3inches with a magnifing glass :blah::blah:

I have/had an older copy of Genuine Fractals and I find that I prefer the photoshop 105% upsize methiod.

This is done by first creating an action that up-sizes the image by 105%, 5 times.
Then another action that calls the first one a few times.

Just remember to first turn image resample off, and set the dpi to 300(assuming you want 300dpi). Then turn on resample, constrain proprotions, scale styles and run your new action until you have the image size you want.

Then do some unsharp, and try some test prints, to see how it goes.
It will take some experimentation to get results you want.

Peter.

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
with a good interpolation program such as stair interpolation or genuine fractals, i have seen very good results up to 20x30 or even 24x36.. keeping in mind you are not standing 3 inches from the print :blah:
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:09 PM   #8

I have a DREBELand a Canon S9000 printer. I have a wall full ofexcellent 13x19 prints. Can't tell the difference between them and any 35mm prints of comparable size. I've seen larger prints from a DREBEL. The XT should do even better.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:11 PM   #9
Super Moderator

for most printers you can get away with 240dpi with no real noticeable difference, this could decrease the number of times you upsize...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 6:10 AM   #10

Printed an A3 (420mmx297mm, with some margin left outside) yesterday and I was happy with the result!
polarwasp is offline   Reply With Quote