Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 15, 2005, 4:11 AM   #1

This store has advertised the camera for 829 dollors.

how trustworthu is this dealer. SOmebody please advice.

vivek
waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2005, 10:18 AM   #2

Reseller ratings for Genius Cameras.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller8519.html

Looks pretty bad, all reviews seem to say very dissatisfied.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 10:51 AM   #3

Stay away as far as possible! This is one of those typical Brooklyn photo stores that lure you into buying their gear cheap...as it first seems. They will then call you back or you will be asked to call them back to confirm your order. They will then tell you that the camera doesn't come with a lens, battery, strap, charger, software, cables, etc. They will then try to sell you all these things for a large markup. If you don't buy them, they will never ship your camera. Some have been lucky and their credit card was not charged, some haven't been so lucky? How do I know these things? My brother-in-law fell for this sort of thing with expresscameras.com...and have heard and read several stories on the net.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:54 AM   #4

thanks for comment on those stoers i was gonna buy from them .. I see them on ebay with package deals ??

So then where shall i buy from then ???/

janey
janey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:31 AM   #5

Buy from a reputable store like b&h photo, dig.com and so on. And 20D goes for $1250, how can you expect to get one for under $850, that's $400 off? Look at dell site, they sometimes have some coupons with 20% off though I haven't seen one for 20D, only 350xt.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 9:01 AM   #6

I actually called them when I saw their price on the bottom of the dealtime.com site.
They were rude, didn't want to talk me really. What I learned in my ever so brief phone call was that the camera is that price. It comes with no battery, charger, cords. They weren't clear on what software it came with. On their site, you can by a non Canon charger for over "get this" 400.00 dollars!!!!!!!!!

Is it possible to just get a quality, working body from them for 800+ and not spend another penny with them? I don't know, nor would I try.

I got my Camera, warranty, Extreme II cards, 2 Canon L lenses, and 580 flash from B&H for a fair price. Could have done perhaps a little better if I shopped at other different honest online dealers for each item. But it was easier to spend a tad more and get everything from one place.

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 6:36 AM   #7

20D price is going down everywhere... or should go ... with the 5D now entering the market.

I guess the 20D won't be worth a lot in 12-18 months when every dSLR will feature a full-size sensor as the 5D does.

In Europe, Canon is offering cash-back on the 20D.
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 1:26 PM   #8

20D is much better resolution wise if you shooting birds. I don't need FF for wildlife, now if you are a landscape guy, then 5D is fine.

And BTW - what's the price in Europe, I bet it is lot more than what we pay here in US.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 3:00 PM   #9

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
And BTW - what's the price in Europe, I bet it is lot more than what we pay here in US.
20D in Europe ~ $1570 before ~ $1390 after Canon cash-back

gaul is offline   Reply With Quote